New from Scotland

Kimm91

Yeah thanks very much you've been a great help now just to try and find a reputable breeder in Scotland. :)

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fargo, ND
Please do not use sand in your substrate, it can cause eye irritation and impaction if ingested. Coir is a safer bet, or just plain soil...I know some members in the UK have had luck finding coir at some sort of dollar store I think.

In that care sheet, Chris recommends Aspen bedding, but I just wanted to mention that Chris and I have discussed that care sheet and he has mentioned he no longer recommends it and the care sheet is in need of an update for that. Coir or soil, or fir bark (also called reptibark or available in garden stores as fine grade orchid bark), or a mixture of these, are great options.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Please do not use sand in your substrate, it can cause eye irritation and impaction if ingested. Coir is a safer bet, or just plain soil...I know some members in the UK have had luck finding coir at some sort of dollar store I think.

In that care sheet, Chris recommends Aspen bedding, but I just wanted to mention that Chris and I have discussed that care sheet and he has mentioned he no longer recommends it and the care sheet is in need of an update for that. Coir or soil, or fir bark (also called reptibark or available in garden stores as fine grade orchid bark), or a mixture of these, are great options.
I used a sand/soil mix..... Oooooooh well :(

Kimm91

Yeah I was just going on what I'd read which is why I asked but pets at home sell coco coir and online it said 2 for £5 if that helps anyone

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
Can get coir in pets at home, Ikea (called kokosnot nor something) and reptile shops, just top soil, soil/sand, soil/coir or just coir are all fine just about what suits you best, can just be trial and error on what you and tortoise is happiest with (top soil is probably the cheapest, and what I use)

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Can get coir in pets at home, Ikea (called kokosnot nor something) and reptile shops, just top soil, soil/sand, soil/coir or just coir are all fine just about what suits you best, can just be trial and error on what you and tortoise is happiest with (top soil is probably the cheapest, and what I use)
I don't think sand is recommended.... Top soil only is better as I remember :)

StuMac

5 Year Member
Good evening Kimm91! I too live in scotland, up in Aberdeenshire, and I found blocks of coco coir in Poundland. For less than £10 I've managed to line an indoor 6x4 table AND my 10x4 outdoor enclosure ( although that was just covering the top to help with plant growth and hydration). You can also add in wee cheap ornaments or fake plants too. They help add hides/shade and will help the tort feel less threatened. They don't like being out in the open, they feel too exposed. And also keep the tort busy as they have to manoeuvre around them so keeps them more active. Home Bargains have been great too for random things to pop in to brighten the enclosure up, little skulls, gnomes, meerkats etc. also think bout getting cuttings from nearby bushes to plant. I did that and it was a cheap and effective way of filling it up too!

Sorry for the rambling

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
I don't think sand is recommended.... Top soil only is better as I remember :)

Yes many don't agree with sand and some use it with no problems. I don't use sand and never have so feel I can't really say its bad when I have t used it, it can cause irritation if it gets in eyes, but that can't always be the case if some people use it fine.

tsemiller

Hi, I live in Glasgow and have a horsefield tortoise. I had him in a Vivarium then changed to a tortoise table and he is much happier and more active. Because of our climate, the air tends not to get too ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1405249007.233187.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1405249028.889285.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1405249074.860348.jpgdry so bathing the tortoise every other day and spraying his enclosure a couple of times a day works fine. I use topsoil in the table - just make sure it has no added fertilisers or anything.

Kimm91

Cool thanks very much. Pretty much made up my mind on using a table just worried about keeping the humidity right

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Cool thanks very much. Pretty much made up my mind on using a table just worried about keeping the humidity right
The humidity is really easy... I have a Greek and the humidity is exactly the way I want it (40~50%)!

Kimm91

So living in Scotland I shouldn't need to buy a humidifier for my wee one? If I spray the enclosure and do the soaks? I'm just overly paranoid about pyramiding and want to make sure I've got everything 100% before i get one. Thanks very much for your replies again :)

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
No, Scotland does have quite a humid climate. The heat lamps will dry the air but by keeping soil damp and bathing a couple f times a week (and leaving a water bowl they can easily climb in and out of) it will be fine.
Remember Hermann's are from the med it is hot and dry during the day

tsemiller

My wee horsefield is similar to a hermanns in terms of looking after them - they are mediterranium tortoises so don't need humidity to be as high as some of the other species. When I first got my tortoise with the Vivarium he was very lethargic and slept most of the time - vet recommended I moved to a tortoise table where he would have more space, less humidity and there was hot and cool areas of the table so he can regulate his temperature. I noticed a massive difference within a couple of days. He was much more active, ate loads more and was more curious of his surroundings. He's been in his table about 6 months now and is healthy and growing well. Vet recommended I used a strip UVB bulb and a separate heat lamp to provide a hotspot. He also has alfalfa hay in his hide and some cactus plants and a cress plant actually planted in the soil in his table. I then add other food a couple of times a day and leave a water dish with fresh water every day.

Kimm91

Cool thanks very much. What vet do you use I've been told lawries in Cumbernauld is good

Kitkat1989

Hi! I live in Newcastle and I can tell u where I got my tortoise from if u were willing to travel to pick him up. He's amazing and so cool. Are u looking for a hatchling or something a little older?

Kimm91

I've hear there's one in fife about an hour from Glasgow but if I can't get a number I may be tempted to go a drive down south :) thanks