NEW ENCLOSURE!!!

PumkinRulez

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
was wondering, could I/ should I try to make it bio active??? I have live moss, and a plant, but me iso pods or spring tails... can they live in repibark???

Attachments

• 73E172AE-CB06-4652-B14D-14F003AE9455.jpeg
    73E172AE-CB06-4652-B14D-14F003AE9455.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 166

bonsai tortoise

5 Year Member
NJ
Can’t hurt to try. Just keep an eye on the tortoise mess as it may be too much for a bio active enclosure to handle. I wouldn’t expect that it could permanently stay pristine as the tortoise mess might outcompete the isopods and springtails. And that looks like a sulcata. Sulcatas produce bigger messes than other tortoises in my experience.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Is it a sulcata? It looks more like a Texas tortoise to me from the picture. And do I see 2 hatchlings in there also?

Before anything else, it would be good for you to get the proper lights on them. In the dome I'm going to assume you have a ZooMed or other brand "spot basking bulb with UVB", or a merc vapor bulb. These bulbs are not good for tortoises. MVB's are expensive, contribute to pyramiding, and do not provide reliable amounts of UVB. The spot basking bulbs dessicate the carapace.

Maybe you take them outside for exposure to the sun, but if not, they need fluorescent tube type UVB lights. For basking, an ordinary incandescent flood bulb works best.

The 2 hatchlings need to be in a closed chamber to maintain heat and humidity that they require. In any case, they need to be separated from the larger tortoise ASAP. Eventually they will need to be separated from each other as well.

And all of them would certainly appreciate a hide. All I see is that half log. Maybe there is something else in there that I just can't identify as a hide.

I'm posting the care sheet for Texas tortoises. Please read it and come back with questions.

PumkinRulez

Texas
Pumpkin is a Sulcata, and a mess! She loves to dig around:p ( also, those arnt hatching they are fake!!! Just plastic

this might be better pic
Also, yes, it’s a zoo Med with uvb, I used to have a stop for my bearded dragons, it still works, do they expire? It’s really old... if not I’ll get a new one

I heard they will hide under the moss, haven’t seen it yet though. I’ll try to find one. Or make one maybe.

Thank you :)

Attachments

• 8B98F441-B48F-4CBA-BE4C-A55D12D5F8D4.jpeg
    8B98F441-B48F-4CBA-BE4C-A55D12D5F8D4.jpeg
    973.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 696CE016-A2BF-4CF8-8C35-65EBEE364C21.jpeg
    696CE016-A2BF-4CF8-8C35-65EBEE364C21.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 68

PumkinRulez

Texas
Another picture...

Attachments

• EF218B45-B3AB-42CC-BEE2-48E7BD18E9C9.jpeg
    EF218B45-B3AB-42CC-BEE2-48E7BD18E9C9.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 41

TaylorTortoise

Abington
If you dont mind me asking... where did you get your enclosure from?! I absolutely love it.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
OK...Yes, I can see her legs in the new pic. You sure had me fooled with the "hatchlings"! ?

Did you have her in a closed chamber before this one? She still has so much growing to do. I think she would benefit from still being enclosed. Her heat and humidity still need to be maintained and monitored. It's not perfect, but we can help you enclose this one. Please give it some thought.

The larger hide should not have moss in it. Just damp substrate. It can be as easy as buying an opaque dishwashing tub at Walmart. Turn it upside down, cut a hole for a door, and it's done.
20200821_132558.jpg

As I explained in my previous post, the UVB/basking light you are using is no good. If you can take her outside for an hour 3-4 times a week, you don't need indoor UV. If you cannot do that you need a fluorescent tube type UVB. For basking, an incandescent flood bulb is best. Flood, not spot. Incandescent, not "replacement" or LED.

A couple links to help you...

4 elements of heating: By Tom
There are four elements to heating and lighting:

Basking bulb. I use 65 watt floods from the hardware store. I run them on a timer and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. I also like to use a flat rock of some sort directly under the bulb.

Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species. You'd only need day heat for a temperate species like Testudo or DT.

Light. I use LEDs for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most bulbs at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish.

UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. If you want it anyway, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. 5.0 bulbs make almost no UV. You need a meter to check this: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html

bonsai tortoise

5 Year Member
NJ
I got it from Tractor Supplies Co.
I got one of those horse troughs from tractor supply for indoor aquatic turtles and it leaked everywhere but I didn’t notice it until it went everywhere. Lol!
As for the bulbs I don’t think there are hard and fast rules. Are fluorescent tube type UVB bulbs better? Generally, yes. Are mercury valet bulbs bad? Not necessarily unless you have them too low and they burn the tortoise. Here’s a few facts: you can’t replace the sun for UVB value so you should aim to keep it outdoors as much as possible as long as the conditions are good and you can do it safely. Also UVB expires and lasts about six months in a bulb so if your MVB is old it’s time to replace it. I keep mine outdoors from about May to September. When I bring them indoors I don’t give them UVB unless they’re young or hatchlings. And even then I usually limit UVB to only a few hours a day.Bulbs are a poor replacement for the sun and in my experience too much of a good thing is bad. These are my opinions based on my experiences. My tortoises are all very healthy and active. But I listen to the cues from my tortoises if something is right or wrong in their enclosure.
As for moss, I’m assuming you mean moss for a humid hide? If you can create a hide that fits the tortoise and put moistened (not wet) moss in it you give the tortoise the ability to choose if it wants to go there. Which is good. But I’d offer a dry hide and a separate humid hide if you’re going to do that so it has choices depending on what it thinks it needs. Aside from that just make sure you ambient temps are good and your bedding holds and appropriate amount of humidity for a growing sulcata without being wet and you’re good.

PumkinRulez

Texas
OK...Yes, I can see her legs in the new pic. You sure had me fooled with the "hatchlings"! ?

Did you have her in a closed chamber before this one? She still has so much growing to do. I think she would benefit from still being enclosed. Her heat and humidity still need to be maintained and monitored. It's not perfect, but we can help you enclose this one. Please give it some thought.

The larger hide should not have moss in it. Just damp substrate. It can be as easy as buying an opaque dishwashing tub at Walmart. Turn it upside down, cut a hole for a door, and it's done.
View attachment 304079

As I explained in my previous post, the UVB/basking light you are using is no good. If you can take her outside for an hour 3-4 times a week, you don't need indoor UV. If you cannot do that you need a fluorescent tube type UVB. For basking, an incandescent flood bulb is best. Flood, not spot. Incandescent, not "replacement" or LED.

A couple links to help you...

4 elements of heating: By Tom
There are four elements to heating and lighting:

Basking bulb. I use 65 watt floods from the hardware store. I run them on a timer and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. I also like to use a flat rock of some sort directly under the bulb.

Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species. You'd only need day heat for a temperate species like Testudo or DT.

Light. I use LEDs for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most bulbs at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish.

UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. If you want it anyway, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. 5.0 bulbs make almost no UV. You need a meter to check this: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html

Before this, she was in Zoo Med’s Turtle Tub, it wasn’t closed in, but it was really high up. I’m not sure if this helps, but she stays in a basement type area, and the humidity is already Super high... the thing I have says it’s around 80-85% humidity.
The substrate is called Forest Floor I think. It’s like some sort of bark... but it’s good at retaining moisture.

I like to take her out pretty often, but I’m scared of hawks getting her so it’s only for a few minutes at a time... Maybe I can make an outdoor enclosure that’s hawk-proof

I have a brand new 100 watts heat lamp laying around, is that better than the one I have now??? Also I have this device that turns it off at 8 and on at 7 ish...

Can I make the hide out of tile??? I have some laying around and I can stack it into a cave type thing

PumkinRulez

Texas
I got one of those horse troughs from tractor supply for indoor aquatic turtles and it leaked everywhere but I didn’t notice it until it went everywhere. Lol!
As for the bulbs I don’t think there are hard and fast rules. Are fluorescent tube type UVB bulbs better? Generally, yes. Are mercury valet bulbs bad? Not necessarily unless you have them too low and they burn the tortoise. Here’s a few facts: you can’t replace the sun for UVB value so you should aim to keep it outdoors as much as possible as long as the conditions are good and you can do it safely. Also UVB expires and lasts about six months in a bulb so if your MVB is old it’s time to replace it. I keep mine outdoors from about May to September. When I bring them indoors I don’t give them UVB unless they’re young or hatchlings. And even then I usually limit UVB to only a few hours a day.Bulbs are a poor replacement for the sun and in my experience too much of a good thing is bad. These are my opinions based on my experiences. My tortoises are all very healthy and active. But I listen to the cues from my tortoises if something is right or wrong in their enclosure.
As for moss, I’m assuming you mean moss for a humid hide? If you can create a hide that fits the tortoise and put moistened (not wet) moss in it you give the tortoise the ability to choose if it wants to go there. Which is good. But I’d offer a dry hide and a separate humid hide if you’re going to do that so it has choices depending on what it thinks it needs. Aside from that just make sure you ambient temps are good and your bedding holds and appropriate amount of humidity for a growing sulcata without being wet and you’re good.
Ok... I think I’m gonna build an outdoor enclosure... I have a huge clear tub, and some other stuff to work with...

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Before this, she was in Zoo Med’s Turtle Tub, it wasn’t closed in, but it was really high up. I’m not sure if this helps, but she stays in a basement type area, and the humidity is already Super high... the thing I have says it’s around 80-85% humidity.
The substrate is called Forest Floor I think. It’s like some sort of bark... but it’s good at retaining moisture.

That humidity is good, as long as she is warm enough. The temp in the coldest part of the enclosure must never drop below 80°F. Forest Floor is fine.

I like to take her out pretty often, but I’m scared of hawks getting her so it’s only for a few minutes at a time... Maybe I can make an outdoor enclosure that’s hawk-proof

That would be great!

I have a brand new 100 watts heat lamp laying around, is that better than the one I have now??? Also I have this device that turns it off at 8 and on at 7 ish...

What kind of heat lamp? You want an incandescent flood bulb for basking and daytime heat. For nighttime heat, you want a CHE (ceramic heat emitter). It gives heat, but no light. It needs to be on a thermostat so it only comes on when the temp falls below 80°. It must be mounted into a ceramic fixture.

Can I make the hide out of tile??? I have some laying around and I can stack it into a cave type thing

Yes. It needs to be completely enclosed except for a doorway.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ok... I think I’m gonna build an outdoor enclosure... I have a huge clear tub, and some other stuff to work with...

Be very careful here. That clear tub will be a furnace in minutes out in the sun, or even in the shade on a hot day. Don't use anything enclosed like that.

Here's a simple outdoor enclosure. You can cover it with wire against predators.

PumkinRulez

Texas
Definitely never drops below 80... between my bearded dragon lights, and the sun through windows all day, that place is like a heated room!

Here’s a pic of the heat lamp...

tnx, question about the link tho. I have the same seeds from SulcataFood.com, but I only have a small pack... is there a another floor option?

Also I have my dogs old puppy pen laying around, could I use that???

Attachments

• B5B9C638-D4C6-40AA-9AB3-BD3004203825.jpeg
    B5B9C638-D4C6-40AA-9AB3-BD3004203825.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11

PumkinRulez

Texas
tile hide
I put it over her favourite spot to sleep ?
I put some terrariam moss in, but very little, and barely misted, not very wet

Attachments

• 3D6C029C-683F-4384-BA87-5D5DED22648F.jpeg
    3D6C029C-683F-4384-BA87-5D5DED22648F.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 27
  • EA46017C-A6AB-4CB6-B8F5-610F53680810.jpeg
    EA46017C-A6AB-4CB6-B8F5-610F53680810.jpeg
    903.9 KB · Views: 27

PumkinRulez

Texas
Um... so weird first reaction... any clue why she’s trying to eat it???

PumkinRulez

Texas
Here’s the temp for in the middle of the room

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10