Tank mates?

Obama Turtle

Location (City and/or State)
Puerto Rico
I have my redfoot in 8’ x 6’ bio active rainforest enclosure and I have the feeling that it’s kind of empty... I’ve been thinking of rainforest animals that could live in the same enclosure as the redfoot but not harm it. Any thoughts?

SasquatchTortoise

Forth Worth, Texas
First off, that sounds like a great enclosure. Could we see some pictures of it? I am thinking some different insects and beetles might go well in there, as long as they have a tree branch or piece of driftwood to get away from the tort every now and then. Maybe some giant beetles like hercules beetles or eastern hercules beetles? Also, where can I get an Obama Turtle??? I've been looking everywhere for one!

Obama Turtle

Puerto Rico
First off, that sounds like a great enclosure. Could we see some pictures of it? I am thinking some different insects and beetles might go well in there, as long as they have a tree branch or piece of driftwood to get away from the tort every now and then. Maybe some giant beetles like hercules beetles or eastern hercules beetles? Also, where can I get an Obama Turtle??? I've been looking everywhere for one!
I don’t have upgraded pictures of it at the moment but when I do i will be sure to send them to you. Giant beetles would be a good idea I’ve always wanted a Hercules beetle so maybe that’s my chance to get one! I don’t know where to get one but I sure want one too LOL.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
I don’t have upgraded pictures of it at the moment but when I do i will be sure to send them to you. Giant beetles would be a good idea I’ve always wanted a Hercules beetle so maybe that’s my chance to get one! I don’t know where to get one but I sure want one too LOL.

I think a Redfoot would certainly kill a beatle (even a big one) and would probably eat it, likewise with any other insect it is likely to notice. I dont know of another species you can safely put in with them, torts are pretty obstinate, anything they identify as unwanted will get mad dogged and bitten until its dead or gone.

Obama Turtle

Puerto Rico
I think a Redfoot would certainly kill a beatle (even a big one) and would probably eat it, likewise with any other insect it is likely to notice. I dont know of another species you can safely put in with them, torts are pretty obstinate, anything they identify as unwanted will get mad dogged and bitten until its dead or gone.
I’m pretty sure this will not be a problem because:
1. My redfoot has a very friendly personality and I have never seen him eat/bug anything that was alive.
2. The enclosure is huge and with plenty of space if my tortoise did want to eat the beetle it would have a lot of space to hide.
But overall thanks for the warning!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I’m pretty sure this will not be a problem because:
1. My redfoot has a very friendly personality and I have never seen him eat/bug anything that was alive.
2. The enclosure is huge and with plenty of space if my tortoise did want to eat the beetle it would have a lot of space to hide.
But overall thanks for the warning!
Redfoot eat meat and insects in the wild.
Living outside, mine eat any insect, lizard, rat or bird that they get access to.
Anything you place with a Redfoot (I wouldn't do it) should be considered as food.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Living outside, mine eat any insect, lizard, rat or bird that they get access to.
Anything you place with a Redfoot (I wouldn't do it) should be considered as food.
My Russian goes nuts when worms appear in his summer enclosure and he is a vegetarian

SasquatchTortoise

Forth Worth, Texas
Hold up... Your tortoise is eating birds? I have heard other reptiles, but... birds? Tell me your address so I can stay AWAY from your house

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hold up... Your tortoise is eating birds? I have heard other reptiles, but... birds? Tell me your address so I can stay AWAY from your house
I believe these might have been killed or wounded by feral cats. But I can't be sure. All I know is that my tortoises sure eat them.
They've also eaten a few rats and the better part of at least one rat trap.
I no longer place any rat traps near them for that reason.
The list of what they WON'T eat is much smaller than the list of what they WILL.