New enclosure

tawaschc254

I am planning on adding some plants and other things for him to hide and play under. In the meantime I am wondering if I have the kids like this if it is enough airflow.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1449169252.600053.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Actually, it would be even better to cut holes out of the plastic lid for the lights, and close it completely. The lights should he hanging vertically, not at an angle, and the screen filters out a good portion of the UVB rays, making your UVB light ineffectual for the tortoises.

What kind of tortoise lives in there?

tawaschc254

There is a Red foot in there. The lights aren't at an angle. Just happen to be in the picture. I thought if the lights were to close it could hurt the tortoise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Usually the packages advise for the lights to be no closer than 12" to the top of the tortoise's shell.

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
I'd love to see a pic of your redfoot too :)

What's the humidity in your new enclosure? Redfoots (redfeet?) really like high humidity.

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
You probably want to enclose it a little more. Redfoots do best in pretty high humidity: around 80%. It's really hard to maintain that in a fully-enclosed environment, so with that much of a gap, you won't be able to keep humidity up unless you've found a way to make it rain in there every hour or two ;)

tawaschc254

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1450123023.115711.jpg

Here is my little friend. I rescued him from a pet store that wasn't taking great care of him.