New enclosure, tips helpful

Rknowles92

Location (City and/or State)
tampa, florida
I'm getting ready for my redfoot hatchling to arrive tomorrow morning, and just want to make sure this set up is okay. I have repti bark with a ceramic heat emitter for heat, with sphagnum moss. I'm going to be taking him out with this set up during the day since I live in Florida, so that's why I have no UVB. Any changes you'd recommend will be welcomed. Thank you..

thumbnail (1).jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's nice, however just because you live in Florida doesn't mean the tortoise doesn't need UVB. Will he be outside in the sun to get UVB from the sun? If not, he needs a UVB light in his indoor enclosure. UVB is required in order to make vitamin d3, which is required in order for the calcium to make strong bones and shell. Calcium doesn't work without UVB.

I like to use Pothos and spider plant in my indoor enclosures.

Your enclosure looks nice, but I think it could be even better if you cover it, figure out a way to hang your CHE and also use a tube type fluorescent UVB bulb.

I also like to use the fixtures with a 10" dome rather than those smaller domes. The smaller dome keeps the heat and makes it get awfully hot around the base of the fixture.

Rknowles92

tampa, florida
Thank you for the tips. I’m going to be keeping it outside all day and just be bringing it inside at night so it will be getting direct sunlight 12hrs a day. I also have a predator proof top for it just didn’t include in the pic. I’ve seen people here around my area keep their hatchlings outside and bring them in at night and they’ve grown to be healthy. I’ll go ahead and grab the bigger dome as well then.