New Enclosure Help

"W" Family

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Well, I got tired of waiting for all the supplies to come into the store to build my Russian Hatchlings Enclosure so I decided to buy a Rubbermaid 50 gallon water container. I figured this is more space than his 20 gallon long fish tank and can give us some time 1-2 years to build the adult enclosure. I am going to use a CHE light for heat on a thermostat and LED lightbulb for light. If needed I will also use a 65watt incandescent flood light for light and heat too if needed for temperatures. I also plan on buying the Arcadia T5 HO 12% or 6% UVB tube light. Which one do you recommend. I am going to use the Coco Coir that I am currently using but also add an area of Orchid Bark for a different substrate. I have some kale and different greens I have started from seed I will add into the enclosure. The vegetable plants, ferns and hosta that I have bought at the store I have changed the soil but then will put in a pot inside the enclosure. I have pathos I would like to add but I use a liquid plant food to water them. Is this a bad idea to take a cutting from this to add? Can anyone see where I am going wrong before I put all this together this weekend? I was thinking of letting him sleep in the 20 gallon and then have a play area in the other for a little to be able to monitor the humidity in the smaller tank since he is so little. What are thoughts here?

Also my little guy is becoming spoiled only liking to eat out of mine or my daughters hand during bath time. He is only eating 2-3 Mazuri Tortoise Diet pellets a day. I did catch him one day this week nibbling on the spring mix that was in his bowl. I offer him spring mix, dandelion greens, escarole, romaine daily in his bowl. Is this a problem if he is only eating the pellets?

Attachments

• tempImagebPeE2v.png
    tempImagebPeE2v.png
    6.1 MB · Views: 26
  • tempImage7GrAnQ.png
    tempImage7GrAnQ.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 24

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. It looks like you are on the right track. Your Pothos should be fine with the type of liquid fert you are using. They grow really well without fertilizing, so you can easily stop that.

Try to mix the Mazuri in with other foods. You don’t want to encourage a picky eater. A good mix of foods is much better than only Mazuri.

Good luck

"W" Family

Florida
Greetings. It looks like you are on the right track. Your Pothos should be fine with the type of liquid fert you are using. They grow really well without fertilizing, so you can easily stop that.

Try to mix the Mazuri in with other foods. You don’t want to encourage a picky eater. A good mix of foods is much better than only Mazuri.

Good luck
Great! Thank you!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It sounds like you're off to a good stsrt.
As for the T5, I can't say if the 5.0 (or 6%) is better than the 10.0 (or 12%)
I don't keep Russian tortoises

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree that everything is sounding good. I wouldn't put him in and out of the new enclosure though. A lot of tortoises don't like changes like that and it may make him stressed.
As for diet, mazuri is good for them but not as a main ingredient. He really needs to eat more greens and only a small amount of mazuri.
One trick is to soak the mazuri in a small amount of water. Then pour only the water over the greens. Tricks them into thinking they are getting mazuri.
If hes not fooled by that, then take one soaked mazuri piece and smear it all over the greens.

"W" Family

Florida
I was also wondering if in and out would be too much so I will figure how to keep humidity best in new enclosure by partially covering of something.