New Enclosure Help

Charles_Veitch

Location (City and/or State)
New hampshire
I am looking to set up a new enclosure for my Russian tortoises. I am thinking 3x7, not sure about height. I also want to add a second level(possibly for a basking spot). I am open to any suggestions but just know I have restricted space.20181124_231539.jpg 20181124_231548.jpg

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
Hi,

I understand your space restrictions, but most on the forum would suggest building an 4'x8' enclosure. If you can't, I'm sure your Russian will love his/her 3'x7'.

The second level is optional, as most tortoises won't use this space anyway. I'd suggest having the sides around 15". This will provide proper substrate depth, while also ensuring that your little guy won't climb out.

Best,

-Thomas S

Charles_Veitch

New hampshire
Finished the tortoise table this weekend. The final dimensions are 84x36x15. The substrate is Zoo Med reptibark. They have a hut on the left and are already exploring around the enclosure

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That looks great! Now add some 'furniture'. . . plants, either real or fake, boulders, knick knacks - anything to break up the line of sight. Think how boring it would be for you to wake up each morning, look out your door and be able to see your whole world. Much more interesting if he has to actually walk around in order to see what's behind that boulder or plant. I use a lot of aquarium plants with weighted base, and I bury the base down into the substrate.

Charles_Veitch

New hampshire
That looks great! Now add some 'furniture'. . . plants, either real or fake, boulders, knick knacks - anything to break up the line of sight. Think how boring it would be for you to wake up each morning, look out your door and be able to see your whole world. Much more interesting if he has to actually walk around in order to see what's behind that boulder or plant. I use a lot of aquarium plants with weighted base, and I bury the base down into the substrate.
I put some soil in one of the corners and am going to be planting some tortoise friendly plants for them. I also have some rock I can put in.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Something they can’t see around/over is good. If they have to walk around it, the space feels bigger. So something in the middle in addition to where you’re putting the plants.