New enclosure for Pixel

Michael Twohy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Roseville, Minnesota
Hi all! It has been a while since the last update, partly due to my vacation to Kenya (which was awesome, too bad we didn't see any leopard tortoises!). But I did some work on Pixel's enclosure in the meantime.

I treated the inside with grey boat paint (epoxy resin) to make it water resistant. I also put in the electrics and lights. And, to make it more tropical, I put in a photo background. It's an outdoor poster, which is water and UV resistant. I really like it!

I also ordered the glass today. The top and sides will be double glazed. This will make it better isolated. This will save energy and makes it easier to regulate temperature. The front will be two sliding glass doors.

And now: some pictures!

View attachment 116185

View attachment 116186

View attachment 116187
looks great! How long until you finish?

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
Thanks everybody! The glass will be here in around 2 weeks, so then I'm able to finish everything, do a testrun with the lights and heating and move Pixel in! Hope (s)he will enjoy the new home...
And, I actually "stole" the name Pixel from this forum , can't remember where I read it but really loved the name!

Michael Twohy

5 Year Member
Roseville, Minnesota
Thanks everybody! The glass will be here in around 2 weeks, so then I'm able to finish everything, do a testrun with the lights and heating and move Pixel in! Hope (s)he will enjoy the new home...
And, I actually "stole" the name Pixel from this forum , can't remember where I read it but really loved the name!
Keep us updated :)

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
everything looks great for a little bit but eventually you'll have to go up to a bigger enclosure also you might wanna check the lights to make sure it's not to hot under them the ramp looks a little steep to

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
Well, finally the glass arrived last week! In the meantime I painted the outside. First I put in the sides...
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1423997088.052508.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1423997107.197263.jpg

Then the top and the front sliding doors...
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1423997146.803641.jpg

Some substrate and interior decorating...
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1423997177.426567.jpg

Finished!

I did a testrun with all the temperatures this morning. The lights look close to the substrate but the domes are quit big, so the lights are actually higher up then they seem to be. Temperatures are good, so time to move Pixel in!

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1423997299.084831.jpg

He suddenly seems much smaller than before
Hope he will get used to his new enclosure soon!

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
everything looks great for a little bit but eventually you'll have to go up to a bigger enclosure also you might wanna check the lights to make sure it's not to hot under them the ramp looks a little steep to

Hi, thanks for the reply! I know he will grow much bigger. I can make a second level below the current one eventually. And when he is full grown I will make him a large enclosure, maybe outside with a heated shed. Still thinking about that!

I checked the lights, see previous post.

The ramp actually has a hinge, so now the substrate is in, it's less steep. If it's still too steep I can put some more substrate or a rock underneath and lift it a little. He's not used to a ramp so I will have to test it!

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
The ramp actually has a hinge, so now the substrate is in, it's less steep. If it's still too steep I can put some more substrate or a rock underneath and lift it a little. He's not used to a ramp so I will have to test it!

We used a hinged ramp also and it has been awesome, particularly for cleaning. Nice set-up!

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
Pixel is living in his new enclosure now for some weeks, and he loves it!

He discovered the ramp really quickly and walks up and down a few times every day.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1425059120.350263.jpg

He also re-discovered his cuttlebone after ignoring it for months... Mine, mine, mine!
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1425059181.677116.jpg

I'm also happy with his bath. Makes it much easier to clean, and looks nice too.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1425059247.638713.jpg

The insulation and double glazing make it much easier to keep a stable temp in the enclosure, regardless of the temps in the room. And, my little helper provided some extra insulation :)
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1425059288.269484.jpg

ShannonC

South Carolina
That is really beautiful!! Not what I was picturing at the beginning of the thread. I'm having enclosure envy!!!

Is that artificial turf or sod with the water dish on it?