New enclosure for my Leo

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Suggestion - dip a Q-tip in rubbing alcohol and rub the nail polish of the tortoises shell. I've done this many times without issue.

Unless you like the nail polish on his shell. Either way, it looks like he has a good pattern growing in.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, he's got a lot of beautiful new growth. Too bad a three year old child can't see the beauty of a leopard tortoise for what it is. Oh well.

Juan V

Valencia
Looks and sounds great to me!

I am a fan of the idea of growing food in young tortoises enclosures.
Since they require high humidity and high temp and a lot of sunlight, I planted grass in their own enclosure, which has grown and now they graze there whenever they feel hungry. I just have to water the place every now and then.

Hermes

Lake Butler, Fl
Suggestion - dip a Q-tip in rubbing alcohol and rub the nail polish of the tortoises shell. I've done this many times without issue.

Unless you like the nail polish on his shell. Either way, it looks like he has a good pattern growing in.

I hadn't thought of that, I'll try it and see if it works.

kristel

Do you use soil or coconut coir to grow your wheatgrass/grass? I'm thinking about growing some wheatgrass in my enclosure as well. I've been growing in a planter, but they yellow too soon before I get a chance to harvest. I'm wondering how long they last in the enclosure.

Hermes

Lake Butler, Fl
I have a mix of coco-coir and dirt. And I throw the seeds straight on the ground and it doesn't die, my tortoise eats it a lot of it I just throw new seeds every month or so mine didn't really like the wheat grass he eats regular grass better and he eats a lot of it all day long.

Juan V

Valencia
that might not be the best food what you are feeding the little guy
I suggest you give him the grass that grows around the pot.

and flip the phone when filming !!!

kristel

I have a mix of coco-coir and dirt. And I throw the seeds straight on the ground and it doesn't die, my tortoise eats it a lot of it I just throw new seeds every month or so mine didn't really like the wheat grass he eats regular grass better and he eats a lot of it all day long.

Thanks for the info. Do you have to germinate your grass seed first by soaking in water overnight or just straight on the soil? I know for wheatgrass soaking overnight helps with the sprouting. Also have you had any trouble with white mold growing on your wheatgrass? I know this is a common problem, and I've had white mold growing on my wheatgrass in a planter, luckily the mold doesn't penetrate the blade so I just wash it off before giving it to him, and I've read the white mold that grows on wheatgrass is not harmful either, just annoying.

Hermes

Lake Butler, Fl
that might not be the best food what you are feeding the little guy
I suggest you give him the grass that grows around the pot.

and flip the phone when filming !!!

I don't really get what you mean? He has grass growing in his enclosure all the time so he eats as much of it as he likes. If you meant what he is eating in the video it's kale, cactus pad and a small piece of pepper. They are all par of a varied diet and they are very nutritious, as is most everything else I feed him. So please tell me exactly what I'm feeding him that you don't think it's good?

Hermes

Lake Butler, Fl
Thanks for the info. Do you have to germinate your grass seed first by soaking in water overnight or just straight on the soil? I know for wheatgrass soaking overnight helps with the sprouting. Also have you had any trouble with white mold growing on your wheatgrass? I know this is a common problem, and I've had white mold growing on my wheatgrass in a planter, luckily the mold doesn't penetrate the blade so I just wash it off before giving it to him, and I've read the white mold that grows on wheatgrass is not harmful either, just annoying.

The wheat grass that I used to "plant" was actually bought from the store it was organic grown wheatgrass for human consumption and I just replanted it in his enclosure but he barely touched it so it's not worth it for me, the regular seed I just throw it there dry and it takes about 4 days to a week to grow and because he has so much of it it doesn't matter if he atoms or eats some of it

kdub

Clearwater, FL
Do you use soil or coconut coir to grow your wheatgrass/grass? I'm thinking about growing some wheatgrass in my enclosure as well. I've been growing in a planter, but they yellow too soon before I get a chance to harvest. I'm wondering how long they last in the enclosure.

My little guy doesn't seem to show much interest in the taller bits of grass but he love love loves the sprouts and small ones under two inches. My method: I use a sideways drinking glass with a paper towel to cover the opening secured with twisty ties (you can also use a rubber band) First I soak overnight, drain and shake off excess water and put in glass. Roll around to distribute, cover and put sideways in dark cupboard. Then rinse and drain once in the morning and again at night, shake off the excess water and put them back in the glass. I roll it around a few times so they stick all around the inside of the glass and try to get them in a somewhat even layer. Lay the glass sideways and put in a dark cupboard. In a few days I have delicious fresh sprouts. Some I will plant in substrate to allow them to grow and I sprinkle a few in his food. He also has been seen digging up the freshly planted ones hee hee. Some grow tall and just add to the overall landscape. It literally costs pennies to do this. This had worked very well with rye and wheat berries and I'm very excited to try some new things! The nature food store by me has bulk bins with various types of sproutables and it's super cheap to buy a handful's worth of different things to experiment with.