New emys emys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Someone else on the forum had a young mee or mep that went off feed and it was suggested to place the food close to the entrance of the hide, by doing this if I remember correctly helped to get it to eat, When I got my first mep in 1996 I would place it's food dish just outside the hide and it never had a problem with eating, so this suggestion made since to me, I didn't do it for any special reason it was just how I fed it and never thought about it until someone else here on the forum said something about it. so it may not be the type of food, it may be where it is placed. Good Luck, I hope it's a simple solution.

bholmes88

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Taylor, Tx
Itort said:
How do you have it setup? They don't like bright light and need a hide espically at this age.

I have it in a long 20 gallon. It has a two hides, one hide half buried to mimic a burrow with a flat rock that I place the food on and another on the other side of the tank that I have never seen him use. He mostly stays under his lights, there is a 10.0 tube uvb light and a red bulb for heat, the warm side is 90 or so and the cool side sits at 75.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
unknown-1.jpgI kept my MEP as a hatchling in a 24 x 36 tub for the first two years. The substrate was a mix of sphagrum(60%) and cypress mulch(40%) with a wading/soaking pool terracotti plant dish. Half the enclosure was covered with a plastic lid and other half just got ambient room light. I have found mine prefer a high of 85 degrees and low was about 68 degrees. Misted him twice a day with a plant mister until carapace was wet (rain trggers feeding).

Last edited by a moderator:

bholmes88

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Taylor, Tx
Itort said:
I kept my MEP as a hatchling in a 24 x 36 tub for the first two years. The substrate was a mix of sphagrum(60%) and cypress mulch(40%) with a wading/soaking pool terracotti plant dish. Half the enclosure was covered with a plastic lid and other half just got ambient room light. I have found mine prefer a high of 85 degrees and low was about 68 degrees. Misted him twice a day with a plant mister until carapace was wet (rain trggers feeding).

What did you do for uvb lighting? Do you think covering the sides with something will help? I have started baby food baths to help administer nutrients.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
He didn't really get that much UVB as his enclosure was under my Bluetongue skink racks and the UVB would have been from there (1% to 3%). Covering sides of tank will help but you are aware that he will quickly outgrow that. I attached Vic caresheet to previous post which I hope helps.

bholmes88

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Taylor, Tx
He finally ate! I had to cover the glass and half of the lid to make it mimic dawn and dusk, while lowering the temps to 75-80 instead of 85. I am worried about not being able to provide uvb, would a calcium supplement with d3 work? Thank you everyone for the advice!

bholmes88

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Taylor, Tx
More pics
2wlr5he.jpg

28bsimh.jpg

o6grid.jpg

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Vic Morgan is who those came from. Did you get em from reptile direct? A skinny younger guy? He got those from vic morgan if so. And the growth rate is very very slow. I have a 8 year old that is almost 11". They are very very slow growers.

bholmes88

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Taylor, Tx
tortadise said:
Vic Morgan is who those came from. Did you get em from reptile direct? A skinny younger guy? He got those from vic morgan if so. And the growth rate is very very slow. I have a 8 year old that is almost 11". They are very very slow growers.

Sounds like the guy! Are all Manouria slow growers?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yeah thats craig he is a good guy, and those came from vic morgan. Vic is the largest breeder of manouria out there, and been doing it a while. He has some pretty good knowledge about them as well. Yep they are all slow slow growers. My big brown is around 26 years old and still not to full size at all. If you want to breed keep your patiant pants on. id say 20 years easy before you can breed a female, a male around 14 years or so. Take good care of them and you will notice nice good growth spurts out of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.