New cover for my russian cage

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Denver, Colorado
So I woke up today to find that one of my cats had figured out how to get in an out of my indoor enclosure and used it as a litter box (not sure why, I changed all the litter boxes before bed last night) so I ran to Home Depot got some supplies and made a new cover. I was using screening to cover the opening and thought I had secured it enough that they couldn't get in but I was wrong... So now I have what is essentially a screen door attached to the enclosure with hinges so I can get in but the cats cannot. I also cleaned out all the substrate and replaced it with new soil. It's a bit barren right now because I just cleaned it out, and they used to have more hides but I had to reassemble them into a wall to keep them separate, he's too rough these days, I will be making some more for them this week. This summer while they are outside I am going to build him his own cage and give her this whole one to herself.

Attachments

• image-3451113526.png
    image-3451113526.png
    971.3 KB · Views: 121
  • image-1336314444.png
    image-1336314444.png
    939.5 KB · Views: 104
  • image-4040043447.png
    image-4040043447.png
    1 MB · Views: 100

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
I like your enclosed and the screen door idea. I hope that keeps that cats our for you. On the positive side the cats did not harm the torts .

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
So far so good, it's only been a day but no one has gotten in again. However I did catch the younger 2 (the likely culprits for the first offense) trying unsuccessfully to get in. Anyone have any suggestions as to keeping them away from the enclosure, maybe one of those furniture sprays to keep pets off that won't bother my torts?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I don't know how well those sprays really work.
Your idea of a strong hinged lid, perhaps with a lock or latch, is the best way to go.

Rogue

5 Year Member
Centennial, CO
There's really no way to keep the cats from wanting to examine the enclosure if it is accessable to them (believe me, I have 4 cats in the house). The latch is a good idea, I have them on all my hinged enclosure covers. If you are worried about the cats getting through the screen door material, you might have to upgrade to a tougher screen - check the chicken wire isle at Home Depot, they have a few options.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
So I found the culprit, my cat Panthro (a bengal mix for those who also know cats) has found a new way in.... he climbed on top of the cage and dropped in through the light hole, knocking my powersun to the side and blowing it out. The noise scared him and I was not far behind once I heard that so he didn't have time to use the enclosure this time, but now I have to put screening over those holes too... as well as get a new MVB. Is Flucker's sun spot as good as the Zoomed Power Sun? It is like 1/2 the price and I am wondering why.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Look for Hardware Cloth at home Depot.. its better than screen or chicken wire, allows for air and light to get thru, without blocking the good stuff. and should be stiff enough that your cats cant get thru it. it probably should be on a frame of some sort.

Rogue

5 Year Member
Centennial, CO
Agree, I use the 1/2" welded hardware cloth (didn't realize that's what it is called). Very stiff and cat-proof, but not such a fine mesh that it blocks a lot of UV and light.

Status
Not open for further replies.