New Cherry Head youngster. Tips?

NDevon

Location (City and/or State)
North Devon, UK
Thanks for all that info Pearly. I just tried a hard boiled egg when I gave the babies their dinner, hey had a little nibble but were more interested in the apple - I haven't fed them apple before. I do try to keep it interesting, every meal they have at least 4 and as many as 8 different things, but I may get bored of being at creative, I only picked them up a week ago! I love to watch them eat, and they both eat well. I'm not sure how much to give them, how much they need to eat or can eat. What are the rules / guidelines?

At the moment I give them more than enough and feed them out of their vivarium or they tend to wander off to do anything else. Once they have eaten for a while I put them back in and some of the food goes on their piece of slate and stays in overnight. Next morning I throw out any food and put some greens in, come early evening I take he greens out, feed them as above, and so on. I don't intend to feed them out of the viv for long, just a bit paranoid right now, worried I'm going to kill them, and I feel better if I've seen them eat.

Foods they have had so far include egg (after tonight!), Apple, grape, cabbage, carrot, a pellet called mazuri that I soften in a little fruit juice, tomato, cress, mushroom, banana, strawberry, blueberry, chicken, dried cat biscuits (expensive ones full of good stuff apparantly) soaked in hot water, I think that's it. I know they need more 'greens', got to find more to give them.

They always have fresh water and there is a cuttlefish in the viv. I dust their greens with a teeny bit of calcium powder and a nutrient powder alternate days. Hopefully I'm not too far off with their diet, trying to get this right :)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Thanks for all that info Pearly. I just tried a hard boiled egg when I gave the babies their dinner, hey had a little nibble but were more interested in the apple - I haven't fed them apple before. I do try to keep it interesting, every meal they have at least 4 and as many as 8 different things, but I may get bored of being at creative, I only picked them up a week ago! I love to watch them eat, and they both eat well. I'm not sure how much to give them, how much they need to eat or can eat. What are the rules / guidelines?

At the moment I give them more than enough and feed them out of their vivarium or they tend to wander off to do anything else. Once they have eaten for a while I put them back in and some of the food goes on their piece of slate and stays in overnight. Next morning I throw out any food and put some greens in, come early evening I take he greens out, feed them as above, and so on. I don't intend to feed them out of the viv for long, just a bit paranoid right now, worried I'm going to kill them, and I feel better if I've seen them eat.

Foods they have had so far include egg (after tonight!), Apple, grape, cabbage, carrot, a pellet called mazuri that I soften in a little fruit juice, tomato, cress, mushroom, banana, strawberry, blueberry, chicken, dried cat biscuits (expensive ones full of good stuff apparantly) soaked in hot water, I think that's it. I know they need more 'greens', got to find more to give them.

They always have fresh water and there is a cuttlefish in the viv. I dust their greens with a teeny bit of calcium powder and a nutrient powder alternate days. Hopefully I'm not too far off with their diet, trying to get this right :)
Be sure to feed weeds when possible. Dandilions, broadleaf plaintain, sow thistle, narrow leaf plantain, nettles.

NDevon

North Devon, UK
I'm going to have to look up my weeds, other than dandelions I have no idea what any of those look like! The positive is we live on a farm in the country and have a huge garden so I'm sure I can find plenty of weeds. Not sure I can grow any though, my wife keeps the garden looking lovely, if I was growing weeds she may kill me!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I'm going to have to look up my weeds, other than dandelions I have no idea what any of those look like! The positive is we live on a farm in the country and have a huge garden so I'm sure I can find plenty of weeds. Not sure I can grow any though, my wife keeps the garden looking lovely, if I was growing weeds she may kill me!
Look at images of those I listed. You will recognize them straight away. Where you live I bet you can get enough to feed a juvenile every day year round. We are still getting -3°c at night up north and dandilions, narrowleaf plantain and nettles still servive.

NDevon

North Devon, UK
Look at images of those I listed. You will recognize them straight away. Where you live I bet you can get enough to feed a juvenile every day year round. We are still getting -3°c at night up north and dandilions, narrowleaf plantain and nettles still servive.

I will, thanks for the great tips, I really appreciate it :)

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
The UK based Tortoise Table website is great for food inspiration:
http://thetortoisetable.org.uk

He definitely needs more weeds/greens. This should be the main part of the diet. I also use grocery store food in winter, such as endive and escarole.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
You can also add to your tort grocery list: collard and mustard greens, radicchio, nopales (cactus pads) and prickly pear cactus fruit if your stires have those, for fruits mine live occasional papaya and mango, wild mushrooms are awesome. When outside my babies love to hunt for snails, and recently they started grazing on my beautiful pansies and petunias (and I don't mind!:)