New boxie

Kalavera

Hey everyone. Im an avid reptile keeper, I keep a bearded dragon, leopard gecko, whites tree frog , water dragon, and also several scorpions. I just got a baby terrapene c. carolina and just like all my other animals im dilligently doing whats best for it. I have made it an outdoor enclosure out of a kids pool and I let the little guy have fun in the sun ( and shade) when its warm and sunny outside. I also have an indoor enclosure for night time and when the weather is too cold (or too hot, it reaches 100+ here in the summer. I guess my first question is how often will a little guy like mine eat? I dont know how old he is but he is about 2.5 inches long. I guess its a male because of its red iris, but I may be wrong.

Killerrookie

Hey everyone. Im an avid reptile keeper, I keep a bearded dragon, leopard gecko, whites tree frog , water dragon, and also several scorpions. I just got a baby terrapene c. carolina and just like all my other animals im dilligently doing whats best for it. I have made it an outdoor enclosure out of a kids pool and I let the little guy have fun in the sun ( and shade) when its warm and sunny outside. I also have an indoor enclosure for night time and when the weather is too cold (or too hot, it reaches 100+ here in the summer. I guess my first question is how often will a little guy like mine eat? I dont know how old he is but he is about 2.5 inches long. I guess its a male because of its red iris, but I may be wrong.
Hello and welcome to the forums! I use to feed my Ornate Box turtle once everyday, like I do to my tortoises also. May I see a picture of the little guy and his enclosures?

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Hello and Welcome. Good looking little guy there! Enclosures look great.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Welcome. Something to be aware of with kiddie pools is that they can fill up with rain in a storm. There is potential for flooding, & the turtle getting washed out or even drowning. Drain holes help.

We've been having extreme thunderstorms, so it's on my mind.

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
I would feed a box turtle that size about every other day or every two days. I feed my adult group twice a week. Their diet is composed of half animal (protein) matter and half plant matter. Good foods can include earthworms, super worms, crickets, summer squash, spring mix, carrots, mushrooms, and some fruit such as berries. Good luck with your new box turtle!

Kalavera

Welcome. Something to be aware of with kiddie pools is that they can fill up with rain in a storm. There is potential for flooding, & the turtle getting washed out or even drowning. Drain holes help.

We've been having extreme thunderstorms, so it's on my mind.

I went to town on the bottom of it with my handy dandy drill, so it holds no water.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Maybe some holes in the side just above ground level in case it can't drain rapidly?

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Welcome to tfo. Good luck getting that little one to eat anything other than protein. They are usually a year or more before they branch out to other foods.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I would feed a box turtle that size about every other day or every two days. I feed my adult group twice a week. Their diet is composed of half animal (protein) matter and half plant matter. Good foods can include earthworms, super worms, crickets, summer squash, spring mix, carrots, mushrooms, and some fruit such as berries. Good luck with your new box turtle!
If you read the box turtle care sheets here you should feed daily and don't rule out greens like spring mix . I feed mine daily and they are outside year a round and some protein as well .

Dean Wirth

Alberta
Great set ups, put a few holes in the kiddie pool, and for indoor set up you don't really need a terrarium, when it grows a good idea would be to use an old bookshelf to set up a larger enclosure. Looks great though, I feed mine every day and they are adults, small ones mainly eat meat, high quality dog food, a variety of worms, crickets.