new baby Hemann toetoise arrives tomorrow

Copper

Location (City and/or State)
Nothern Illinois
Hi everyone a few questions for anyone who would not mind giving advice, I am a new member and new Tortoise Forum. I am getting a new baby Hermann tort tomorrow and so very excited! The cage is made from wood that we built and its all ready for our new tortoise. When he arrives should I soak him right away? and then feed him? or what would be the best first steps to take to welcome him here?
Thank You all in advance for any advice

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Congratulations! Yes, soak him right away. You can offer him food after the soak, but he may not eat it. Sometimes they eat right away, sometimes they need a few days to get used to their new environment. Good luck and we love pictures!

Copper

Nothern Illinois
simon's house.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 2.JPG
Congratulations! Yes, soak him right away. You can offer him food after the soak, but he may not eat it. Sometimes they eat right away, sometimes they need a few days to get used to their new environment. Good luck and we love pictures!
okay great thank you I will soak him right away. Thank you for letting me know it's normal for them to not eat for a few days, I would have been in total panic if you had not warned me this could happen. If you don't mind me asking a few more questions, how often and for how long should I soak our new baby Hermann tort? What temp should I keep his overall cage? and what temp should I keep the spot under the light to really let him warm up??

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Since he is just a baby, start out soaking him for a few minutes at a time, two-three times a week because he can dry out! He should have a cool side and a hot side. Th e lamp area is the gonna be the hot side, and it should be kept in the 80s during the day, and cool side should be in the 70s. It looks like he needs a hide in the hot side, so he stay there if he wants. He should have a soaking dish too, she he can drink and swim whenever he wants. Since he is just arriving, maybe you should take him to a herp vet (unless he has alredy been seen, don't know where you're getting him from) to get him checked out for anything.
Good luck with your baby :D !!!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Congrats and looks like you are ready for the arrival of your new torts. Congrats.

Copper

Nothern Illinois
Thank you Yellow Turtle, I am soaking him everyday and he seems to be doing well, he loves to eat :)
I also picked up two really good thermometers that read temp as well as humidity levels, so I am monitoring that as well.
When his humidity level drops I mist his enclosure with a water spray bottle and that does the trick.