New baby Greek tort.

dano58

Location (City and/or State)
Northern California
This is our first tortoise got a little Greek baby. Was told it was about 3 months old. We have had him/her for about a week. After reading on this forum and other sites we decided to change things and add a layer of substrate to house. So I have alittle over 2 in of cypress mulch mixed with fine coco fiber with a couple of clay saucers for water and food. So we put him back after the changes he took a couple of bites of his greens then started exploring. Once he got to the side wall he figured out he can dig and we havent seen him since. We can just barely see the top of his shell, as he moves around under the mulch. I'm guessing this is normal. I attached a picture before the changes we made today.

dano58.jpg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome

Digging is normal. Staying there suggests he isn’t warm enough and/or is frightened.

Please can we see photos of the enclosure and lighting so we can see if there are any problems.

There are 4 important temperatures in tortoise keeping that you must know - warm side, cool side, directly under the basking lamp and overnight minimum.

A baby like this needs a minimum of 80F day and night; this can only be achieved in a closed chamber not an open table. It must also have 95-100F directly under the basking lamp.

This baby also needs daily 20 minute soaks in warm water to keep it hydrated.

I recommend establishing a routine with new young torts so they learn what to expect and when and can learn that you are safe.

1. Put the lights on a timer so they operate on a regular schedule. It also means you can have a lie in or go out at night without worrying.

2. Soak your tortoise for at least 20 minutes in warm water first thing before your tortoise has warmed up properly.

3. While your tortoise soaks, tidy the enclosure and place food then replace your tortoise and walk away. Leave your tortoise entirely alone to be brave and explore.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I recommend you read the TFO care guides and compare them with your setup.

Go by these and ignore the wider world; they're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Baby Testudo Care - written about Russians but applies to Greeks
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Welcome to you and that cute little Zorba.

dano58

Northern California
Hello and welcome

Digging is normal. Staying there suggests he isn’t warm enough and/or is frightened.

Please can we see photos of the enclosure and lighting so we can see if there are any problems.

There are 4 important temperatures in tortoise keeping that you must know - warm side, cool side, directly under the basking lamp and overnight minimum.

A baby like this needs a minimum of 80F day and night; this can only be achieved in a closed chamber not an open table. It must also have 95-100F directly under the basking lamp.

This baby also needs daily 20 minute soaks in warm water to keep it hydrated.

I recommend establishing a routine with new young torts so they learn what to expect and when and can learn that you are safe.

1. Put the lights on a timer so they operate on a regular schedule. It also means you can have a lie in or go out at night without worrying.

2. Soak your tortoise for at least 20 minutes in warm water first thing before your tortoise has warmed up properly.

3. While your tortoise soaks, tidy the enclosure and place food then replace your tortoise and walk away. Leave your tortoise entirely alone to be brave and explore.

Thank you for all the information, I think it was a little of both being a little cooler then he was used and the change in the habitat. the next day the temps are back up to 90 to 92 in the hot spot to around 80 in the rest of the habitat during the day alittle cooler at night but not below 78. he seems back to normal now and eating well.