New Baby Black Greek

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
LS has been associated with random unexplained tortoise deaths in the past but I have no idea how true they are. I prefer the original for all ages of tortoise personally.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
I would feed the LS, just mix it in the diet in smaller amounts.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
You're going to get opinion, after opinion, after opinion on these kinds of topics which is just the nature of the beast.

What I can tell you is that death reports have surfaced from keepers shortly after they used the LS. I have never experienced problems with it other than the fact that the tortoises do not seem to like it as much as the original formula.

My current favored mix is original mazuri with zoo med grassland mixed in.

Regarding the original, it's excellent stuff. We've done blood and level checks on tortoises that have practically lived on it for many years and the results are absolutely outstanding. The protein level in it is what scares a lot of keepers but the truth is in the wild. Many do not realize that Hermann's and Greek tortoises (including other species) will consume snails, worms and even dead animals...like rabbits for example. There are even videos on YouTube showing this. Tortoises are grazers and opportunistic feeders plain and simple. They'll take what they can get but it's up to us to provide what is best. However, allowing them to do what they think is best is paramount. When I see one of our tortoises chomping at a worm or
Snail they find outside do you think I intervene? Absolutely not. The tortoise had plenty of edibles in the enclosure but it WANTED the invertebrate so that's what it got. Do I worry about parasites? No. A healthy load is normal and needed for proper gut health and routine de-wormings once a year will take care of that anyway. Check ups at the vet or even getting your own microscope will allow you to put your mind at ease by being able to view your own fecal samples once you've learned what to look for.

There's a world of information out there and it gets better each day. Get ready to have your head explode.

Kaliman1962

I just got a baby Ibera, he is a little bigger than a quarter, I have organic soil , I've only had him 2 days, yesterday he explored a little, maybe nibbled but not sure, today he stayed buried the whole day, should I just let him be for a while? Does everything look up to par HermanniChris?
Thank you
image.jpeg

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I just got a baby Ibera, he is a little bigger than a quarter, I have organic soil , I've only had him 2 days, yesterday he explored a little, maybe nibbled but not sure, today he stayed buried the whole day, should I just let him be for a while? Does everything look up to par HermanniChris?
Thank you
View attachment 185507
It's a lovely enclosure, but isn't it rather small? :confused: Am asking as the pic isn't complete; or am I mistaken?;)

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
There's a few things I would change but there's no reason to panic. What kind of lighting are you using? What is the enclosure made out of? Sorry I can't see exactly what's going on in the pic. Size is fine for now as babies should be kept in smaller quarters at first. What are you using as a hide and how deep is the substrate? It should be at least 4-5" deep. Also make sure you aren't giving heat at night. Big misconception that they need heat at night.

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
Being a newbie is pretty scary. Mine hid for 5 days before eating/exploring. Hang in there-- I'm sure your little one will do the same.

Make sure to read Chris's notes above. They are extremely helpful!

Keep humidity high, and have patience.

Best of luck!

surfergirl

I used Chris' caresheet with my margie and she is doing excellent! I know it has been debated but i do think minimal handling is key! Mine are still very outgoing but they do what they want to do and i get lucky alot when they want to greet me or follow me round for food and interaction. I always keep them in their enclosures for their safety unless measuring/weighing/soaking. I keep activity on thier terms as much as possible. I wouldn't want a giant thing grabbing me up out of my burrow all the time to handle me for fun. :)

Kaliman1962

The turtle top is plastic & has a hide on other side, although he just stays buried, I have zoomed heat bulb, & a uvb bulb all for reptiles, I think I have about 3 inches of soils, I can add more, no heat at night, gets down to room temp, about 69.