New baby 3 toed box turtles!

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
North East
It is going to be a little nursery around here with torts n turtles. I just got these two little guys they were born in August. They are so little .I am so nervous especially reading about babies dying and boxies not eating etc.That is a quarter under their soaking dish for size comparison.I have been dreaming and planning to have a turtle garden. I can't believe I finally have 3 toed box turtles.This will give me time to work on a turtle garden.Meet Leonardo & Donatello.

IMG_20150210_104042 (1).jpg IMG_20150212_081633.jpg IMG_20150212_083131.jpg

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
They are about the same size as my little 3TBT whom i FOUND in August. He wasn't much bigger than a quarter then; probably about 1" shell.
He did stop eating for a couple months but he is growing now.
His carapace is only 1 & 5/8" long.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
They are about the same size as my little 3TBT whom i FOUND in August. He wasn't much bigger than a quarter then; probably about 1" shell.
He did stop eating for a couple months but he is growing now.
His carapace is only 1 & 5/8" long.

Its amazing they can go without eating.That is so hard on us taking care of them. I have one eating and the other is not. I do have red wigglers in the enclosure so I am hoping they eat them.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
Its amazing they can go without eating.That is so hard on us taking care of them. I have one eating and the other is not. I do have red wigglers in the enclosure so I am hoping they eat them.

Yeah, if it wasn't for this forum, he'd probably be a mere shell of his former self by now. Essentially, i underestimated the importance of PHOTOPERIOD because, after all, he did his best to avoid photons anyway.
But apparently they are genetically wired to brumate based on that, even though only a few photons might make it to their skin at any time, buried under all that mulch.
Also, he usually prefers around 80 degrees F and i was not keeping him that warm. But even after i got him a little heat mat, he still would not eat until i kept lights on about 14 hours a day. After a few days of that, he started eating again.
It was remarkable how well he seemed when he was starved, though.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Thanks. I think I will keep the lights on for 14 hours to see if that helps. I am hoping he is just adjusting since I just got him Tuesday. He actually ate the day he arrived so its only been a few days. He likes to stay buried while the one who is eating likes to be out and about.

Torch

5 Year Member
A couple things I've discovered about them that might make you feel better.

-They are TOUGH. My young three toed and gulf coast went through a period of illness a few months back that scared me to death. With the help of my vet and constant monitoring, they pulled through and are thriving. Yes, they can be delicate, but with supportive care they can overcome a lot.

-They will hunt at that age. If you keep the habitat stocked with appropriate bugs, they will find them and eat them :)