New addition!

Tyanna

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Here's me new female russian. My 11 year old sister in law named her "Kiwi"! She has eaten, pooped, soaked (and drank SO MUCH water during and after her soak) and passed urates already. She's about 6 inches. Haven't got a weigh in yet!
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1418589843.053908.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1418589852.440741.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1418589864.161699.jpg

Tyanna

Wisconsin
She was definitely dehydrated, I often find her at her water bowl gulping lots of water down. Poor girl. :(

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Sooooooooooooooo cute Russians are awesome :)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Congrats!

For some reason, it looks like an immature male to me. Maybe it's the photo? The angle? Or just me :p
But I'm curious if any others notice that/think that too.. ?

Tyanna

Wisconsin
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1418596273.041186.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1418596285.664293.jpg

I asked a few others and all said female too. I was actually thinking male but I couldn't really tell, either. Haha.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I'm hoping it's a girl for ya! And I've only had real hands on experience with a dozen or so Russians...so I'm not the best judge...
But I still lean toward immature male.

@biochemnerd808 on the other hand would be a great judge of the private parts! ;)
What do you think Katie?

Tyanna

Wisconsin
I asked Katie through facebook, and she said if it's bigger than 5" she says girl! She showed me some of her females that had a similar tail! She just has a very non-fat tail, so it looks like a slit!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
It could be female, if it is 6 inches long. A lot of mail Russians I think only get to about 6 inches. But it really is hard to tell. have you checked out the really cool thread in the Russian section about how to sex the tortoise? Complete with pictures and drawings :) I think it is very near the top of the Russian tortoise section.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
You got Katie's opinion already, That's great!

It's probably just me then. ;) cuz it really does look like an immature male I've dealt with. Thought it was a female for a while, too.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I think that since this tortoise has an SCL of 6", it can reliably be sexed as a female. The tail does look a little on the pointy side, but the slit is a very puckery slit... and at this size, a male would have a tail the size of my pinkie finger. Immature females often don't have much fat deposits on their tails yet, which makes them look much skinnier. Some have a bit of a point, too. As they mature, they build up more fat deposits on their tails. I'll post a few pics of my immature females (2 of which are now proven, and 1 of which hasn't laid yet, but now has a fatty fat tail).

I know @Tyanna already got her answer on FB, but in case others are looking on here, I'll post here as well.

This one is Mila 3 years ago. She has now laid 1 egg this Fall, which hatched a beautiful baby. Her tail is fatter now. But the vent does look a little bit slit-y in this pic. It looks more pucker-ish now that she's built up more fat.
DSC_8987.JPG

Below is Jill. Her tail is also very small and skinny still. It still looks a bit pointy because she, too, hasn't built up much fat.
Jill.JPG

Below is a close-up of VIvian's tiny tail. Hers is more classic, as the pucker is clearly a pucker, and she doesn't have much of a point. She is almost 8" SCL, but is so good at knocking away the male that she has not been successfully covered.
DSC_4788+-+Copy.JPG

And finally, below is a close-up pic of Lady's fatty fat tail. I chose this one, because it has a lot of fat deposits on it, but it also has a point. Lady has produced 4 eggs, 2 of which hatched babies.
DSC_4770+-+Copy.JPG

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Thanks Katie for elaborating on the identification details!

I'm sure that if I questioned the gender, others did too and although sexing Russians is irrelevant to me, there could be an anonymous reader that this dialogue helps ;)

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Thanks Katie for elaborating on the identification details!

I'm sure that if I questioned the gender, others did too and although sexing Russians is irrelevant to me, there could be an anonymous reader that this dialogue helps ;)

I questioned it too, so you're not the only one! I love the answer she gave, very helpful.