Never escape proof enough.....

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Here is Martha, my Russian, Aka the destroyer...., laughing at my attempts of making her new outdoor enclosure escape proof. Took her all of two minutes to climb this 15 inch fence....
The moral of the story- A Russian Tort is a master escape artist that can climb anything & it only takes a couple of minutes of not watching for them to get away!

rbzlt1.jpg

M

Maggie Cummings

You have my sympathies... That's why I got rid of my Russian, Fat Nat. Aren't they just something tho???
Later, I am going to post about my blind box turtle escaping. Not with pictures as good as your's tho...:rolleyes:

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I wish I would have caught the whole process with my camera but I sat there stunned with my mouth open just watching this happen. Finally snapped out of it to get the end result. She is something! So much personality!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I think Martha must have a relative called Houdini! So it's back to the drawing board on designing an enclosure with completely smooth sides then?! :D

This photo needs to be locked to the top of the Russian forum as a warning for would be new keepers!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Agreed! I thought all those warning were an "extreme circumstance" kind of thing. Nope, this can not be taken seriously enough!
Wood will replace that fence soon. It was pretty awesome to watch her do it though :)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Solid fencing should solve that...and it looks like you are about to try that route ;)

My Russian walls were 12"tall of solid plywood. They couldn't climb up it....but that didn't stop them from trying! Ha

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
That's why ALWAYS have a inner lip on all enclosures. Smaller mesh would also help.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I just started the enclosure Sat. I used Martha to see where the "weak" areas were. Found out pretty quick by watching her. The metal I used was left over & I put it there to keep her out of the concrete slab area next to the house with the basement window enclosures. Did not take into consideration she could climb that then scale over to the perimeter fence & attempt to slide through that. It was pretty impressive work! I have a few more layers of cinder blocks to go yet. Also need to add more plants, new seed mixes, & a chain link top.
2rw16c1.jpg

Will add wood sides with a lip to block Martha in.
This whole area is 17x17 split into three sections at the moment. Will be changed to two sections for Russian & Sulcata once I figure out what to do with the Hermann I was given. When Sully gets a little bigger, then she will get her own predator proof yard & barn.
2nvc9hz.jpg

2uq0gah.jpg

2gvq13b.jpg

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
All you really need to do is bend the tops of the metal "fence" in. About 2 inches will do it. I had a 15 inch barrier that worked really well and that is what I did. The climbed it once or twice, got to the top and couldn't get upside down to get over. Then I made the mistake of putting the hide too close to the wall and they got out, but I fixed that and it hasn't happened again. You should also consider burying some wire mesh around the outer perimiter. They will burrow under very easily.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Thanks. I have cinder blocks lining the outside walls & planning on digging in a layer of metal fencing at an angle also. You live & learn :)