russian/hermanns escape proof?

surfergirl

I have bricked around the side out to about 12" and 16" but would like to leave the center so if they want to burrow deeper. Do you think it is escape proof like it is or should i cover the whole bottom with bricks? I have enough brick so that is not an issue. I just thought the ground may stay warmer in an area where they can dig deeper. I want zero chance of escape though. The substrate will be close to 12" deep in most of the area. I will also have a hot house and a screened cover for predators so them climbing out will not be a concern.
let me know what yall think :) i am going to have these done quicker than i thought. yeah spring and outdoor tortoise time!

20160227_133353.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
What doesn't exist, but has a name?
Answer: Nothing!

surfergirl

So you are saying it cannot be escape proof.? You lost me already. Never been a riddle queen .lol

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I have bricked around the side out to about 12" and 16" but would like to leave the center so if they want to burrow deeper. Do you think it is escape proof like it is or should i cover the whole bottom with bricks? I have enough brick so that is not an issue. I just thought the ground may stay warmer in an area where they can dig deeper. I want zero chance of escape though.View attachment 166210 The substrate will be close to 12" deep in most of the area. I will also have a hot house and a screened cover for predators so them climbing out will not be a concern.
let me know what yall think :) i am going to have these done quicker than i thought. yeah spring and outdoor tortoise time!
I don't keep testudo species. But I don't think they will dig a tunnel out under 16" long. How high will it be from the substrate level to the top of the boards your using. Also you should cap the corners off so it can't climb up the corners. Most use a triangle shape piece of wood, then put one in each corner nailed/screwed to the top edges.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I think this will be fine. They're climbers more than anything, at least mine was. Just don't stick anything close to the walls that can allow them to climb up and over. Are you going to cover the top to keep predators out?

surfergirl

I plan to cover them so i do not have to worry about predators or them climbing out. Might put corner covers also just incase i want to leave the tops open while i am planting etc. It just takes a second to lose one.

Thanks for the replys and questions!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I have not had any problems having put pavers around the inside perimeter of my enclosure. They like to dig up against something, so as long as they can't dig at the wall, it's fine. They definitely love to climb though.

surfergirl

I just went ahead and covered the whole area. I figured it will save me some $ for substrate plus be zero chance of digging out. Also nothing can dig in to their space either.
Finished two of these today except putting the substrate in them, building the top and getting them planted. We have another good weather day
tomorrow. I received my seed mix last week so planing to get that started after good friday.

It was a lot easier than i thought it was going to be.

1456611341403.jpg Thanks again for helping me with my concerns!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've never had a tortoise try to tunnel out under the fence UNLESS HE COULD SEE DAYLIGHT UNDER THE FENCE. Mostly they just dig to bury themselves. If they try to escape it's usually "over the wall."

surfergirl

thanks Yvonne! on the next ones I think I am going to avoid most of the heavy brick work. the first 2x10 is in the ground about 5-6" on the front and sides and about 1.5" on the back so no daylight at all. I may still put some blocks around the back but will definitely avoid filling the whole rectangle.