Negative Reaction to Eye Drops

Devonae

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York, New York
Hi All,

We took Hiccup to the vet today for a check up regarding her eye. She started to produce a sticky substance over her right eye for a couple of days, but it seems to have disappeared completely now. However, we still wanted to check with the vet to make sure everything was fine with her. While we were there we had a problem with her poop, but that's an entirely different issue.

Anyway, overall the vet said that she seemed to be in very good health. She's very active, eats (though she doesn't eat much, but seems to be at a good weight for her age), and none of her behavior is out of the ordinary. Just as a precaution, however, the vet prescribed eye drops for her (Bausch + Lomb, Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulfates and Gramicidin Ophthalmic Solution USP (sterile)) that we were supposed to use once a day in both eyes.
Just a moment ago I gave her one of the eye drops and she reacted completely differently than she did when we used the Repti Turtle Eye Drops (from Zoo Med). First she closed her eyes very tightly and didn't open it until the drop slid off of her face. Though it was different from her usual reaction (which is to just let the drop into her eye) I didn't think much of it. But when I turned her to put the drop in the other eye she started to flail her front legs at the solution, and she's never kicked that hard before. I put her down for a while to see if she was just tired of being handled, but when I picked her up again she was fine. So I tried to used the solution again and she started to kick at it again. I'm not sure if the solution hurt her eyes or if she just didn't want it at this moment. I let her go without putting the solution in the other eye and she just went straight into a dark corner.

Just for a reference as to why she could've been developing the sticky substance on her eye: The temperature of her habitat is a low of 80 and high of 100 and the humidity is around 75 (consistently).

Any help?

Best,
Devonae

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
She is a red foot right ? The temp. doesn't need to be in the hundreds . 80/90 with the humidity as high .Let the temp drop at night to 80 . What are you using for uvb ? If its the compact fluorescent get it out of her enclosure . They will burn her eyes .

Devonae

5 Year Member
New York, New York
Yes, she's a red foot. The lights are not directly in her enclosure, the heating lamp is nearly a foot away from the lid, it's just that we're in NY and the temperature has been fluctuating between 80s and 60s for the past couple of weeks. So while we make up the chilliness of the 60s one day, the next day is 80 which makes her enclosure nearly 100. I think we generally settle around 80-85, but I can't seem to get the humidity above 75 even with the humidifier.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
What are you using to check temps and humidity ?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I can open the link . Its not them round ones that sick to the wall are they? If so they never work right . Home Depot sells a good digital one for ten bucks . Place two of them in your enclosure one on each end . I bet you are getting way more humidity and heat than you think.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi All,

We took Hiccup to the vet today for a check up regarding her eye. She started to produce a sticky substance over her right eye for a couple of days, but it seems to have disappeared completely now. However, we still wanted to check with the vet to make sure everything was fine with her. While we were there we had a problem with her poop, but that's an entirely different issue.

Anyway, overall the vet said that she seemed to be in very good health. She's very active, eats (though she doesn't eat much, but seems to be at a good weight for her age), and none of her behavior is out of the ordinary. Just as a precaution, however, the vet prescribed eye drops for her (Bausch + Lomb, Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulfates and Gramicidin Ophthalmic Solution USP (sterile)) that we were supposed to use once a day in both eyes.
Just a moment ago I gave her one of the eye drops and she reacted completely differently than she did when we used the Repti Turtle Eye Drops (from Zoo Med). First she closed her eyes very tightly and didn't open it until the drop slid off of her face. Though it was different from her usual reaction (which is to just let the drop into her eye) I didn't think much of it. But when I turned her to put the drop in the other eye she started to flail her front legs at the solution, and she's never kicked that hard before. I put her down for a while to see if she was just tired of being handled, but when I picked her up again she was fine. So I tried to used the solution again and she started to kick at it again. I'm not sure if the solution hurt her eyes or if she just didn't want it at this moment. I let her go without putting the solution in the other eye and she just went straight into a dark corner.

Just for a reference as to why she could've been developing the sticky substance on her eye: The temperature of her habitat is a low of 80 and high of 100 and the humidity is around 75 (consistently).

Any help?

Best,
Devonae

If there is negative reaction to the drops...then I would not use them...if the other drops worked for her then I would resume that drop....what type of substrate are you using?

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
Hi All,

Any help?

Best,
Devonae
I looked the drops up online and it says to stop administering them if pain and or irritation occurs and to contact the physician/vet.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
The digital meters at Home Depot are $10. They measure temp and humidity. It's a "home comfort meter" made by acurute and is kept where the weather stations are. My local Home Depot keeps them in the outside garden section next to the swimming pool chemicals.

Devonae

5 Year Member
New York, New York
Thanks all! I'll be heading to Home Depot for the digital meter in the morning! And I definitely will not be using the drops anymore. Her eyes are fine now, they were just supposed to be precautionary so I think it'll be fine if she doesn't use them.