HELP!!! (pneumonia)

Meggy500

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
So the other week my cherry head red foot hatchling was diagnosed with pneumonia. She has been on an antibiotic since, injection given every 72 hours in front legs. Her eyes have been puffy and closed so the vet told me to do a drop of vitamin a in both eyes once a day. I just took her out to soak her and give her the injection, and all her skin is peeling off of her legs and neck. She looks terrible. I didn't want to give her the shot or vitamin a drops until I talk to the vet tomorrow because one of the 2 is causing it. I dont know what to do!!! She hasn't eaten in so long either :(

Meggy500

Wisconsin
Where are you located?
Are you sure that your vet actually understands tortoises?
Vitamins in the eyes sounds most unusual.
I am in Wisconsin. The vet is called all creatures animal hospital and the vet I saw was a reptile vet. But not going to lie I'm starting to feel like she might not know what shes doing 100%. It forreal seams like one of the 2 is eating away at her skin. I feel so bad and helpless. :(

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
So the other week my cherry head red foot hatchling was diagnosed with pneumonia. She has been on an antibiotic since, injection given every 72 hours in front legs. Her eyes have been puffy and closed so the vet told me to do a drop of vitamin a in both eyes once a day. I just took her out to soak her and give her the injection, and all her skin is peeling off of her legs and neck. She looks terrible. I didn't want to give her the shot or vitamin a drops until I talk to the vet tomorrow because one of the 2 is causing it. I dont know what to do!!! She hasn't eaten in so long either :(

Did the veterinarian give her a Vitamin A injection when you took her in?. That is a treatment that is no longer recommended because it causes sloughing of the skin.
I do not know whether administration of Vitamin A drops directly into the eye would cause the same effect but would be suspicious. At any rate, and not meant to alarm, but hatchlings are very delicate and a diagnosis of pneumonia is dire especially when a little turtle is off feed. I wish you the very best and good luck.

Meggy500

Wisconsin
Did the veterinarian give her a Vitamin A injection when you took her in?. That is a treatment that is no longer recommended because it causes sloughing of the skin.
I do not know whether administration of Vitamin A drops directly into the eye would cause the same effect but would be suspicious. At any rate, and not meant to alarm, but hatchlings are very delicate and a diagnosis of pneumonia is dire especially when a little turtle is off feed. I wish you the very best and good luck.
No she did not give her a vitamin a injection. Just told me to do the drops every day for 3 weeks. It forreal looks like something is eating away at her skin. I'm honestly surprised that she is still alive. The pneumonia has been going on for a few weeks unfortunately. :( Thank you, I appreciate it.