Baby redfoot eye !!!!!

pip the cherryhead

My tortoises eye is half closed and won't open fully even when she is warm and awake . Her other eye is fine but her left eye isnt opening fully , i have bathed it with warm water and wiped it with a cotton pad but its nit working ! Her humidity is 75% and her temp 85 degrees can someone help me please ???!!?!

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
My tortoises eye is half closed and won't open fully even when she is warm and awake . Her other eye is fine but her left eye isnt opening fully , i have bathed it with warm water and wiped it with a cotton pad but its nit working ! Her humidity is 75% and her temp 85 degrees can someone help me please ???!!?!

what kind of bulbs are you using? you can also try stepping up the humidity a little bit as long as your temps don't fall below 80 and the substrate isn't soaked

do you have any pics of the enclosure or the tort?

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Keep rinsing the eye and soak. When it's just one eye it's usually means it's scratched or something's in it.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
do you see anything in the eye? is the eye tearing? you could try stepping up the humidity i've never encountered it but i've heard of reds having eye problems in to dry of conditions but that's just a guess i'm throwing u

redfoots aren't a fan of bright harsh lights so that could be it to but i doubt it because i use a arcadia d3 12% uvb tube with no problems at all

i see the circle gauge in the photo those are junk they aren't very accurate for temps and humidity at all most of us here use accurite digital gauges that you can get at walmart or any store with a garden center really and i notice your table is a open top so how do you hold a ambient temp and humidity?

im thinking your problem may be in the gauge miss leading you about something

i'd also recommend covering as much as the table as you can to hold ambient heat and humidity

check out http://www.tortoiselibrary.com/ they have a good caresheet just go up to species care and then go to south american forest tortoises then you'll see redfoot pop up select that

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
David is right on the money with this one . Now .....you may need to use Terramycin Antibiotic Ophthalmic Ointment to clear up the eye infection. Some more info can be found here for you.
http://www.drugs.com/vet/terramycin-ophthalmic-ointment.html
Keep temps and humidity stable .....with continued soaks. Separate any other torts, and sterilize your soaking dish after every use. Wash your hands....;)
Medicine can be applied with damp Q~tip. (it's a jelly type cream)

pip the cherryhead

Thanks for the help everyone ! I will cover up her tabke and see what happens this morning her eye seems to be worse! Will have a look at that ointment aswell
Thanks

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Poor baby. I'm sorry!! Keep us updated. And the ointment should help clear it up!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
good news!!! .....keep water dish "clean" and humidity and temps stable~....:)
BTW what drops did your Vet give you ?