Need urgent help

Paige95

My tortoise has been very unhappy not eating much not coming out of his bed when the lights are on I have just noticed as he was eating he couldn't see? His eyes are open a little but all you can see is white I've put my finger across his eye to see if he could see and no reaction is there anything I could try before I take him to the vets as worried because I'm working nights for the next two weeks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Let's do a little detective work before you go to the vet. Tell us the answer to Abramsmytankturtle's question.

In the meantime, soak your turtle in a shallow tub of water and leave him in there for at least 30 minutes. If he scrambles around, too bad. Be strong. Leave him in there.

Then look around online and see if you can find someone selling either one of these two items (you don't need both):

eye ointment a.jpg eye ointment b.jpg

These will sooth his eyes until we can find out what's wrong with them.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
What do you use for lighting? Do you have any of those coil type bulbs for UVB? If so that maybe your culprit, they have been known to irritate tors' eyes. If you post pictures of your tort and enclosure we might be able to pinpoint a problem.