Need tips with rescued Red Foot.

Red_tomato

5 Year Member
Hello all... I rescued a female RF from a friends friend. She seems healthier and more active now that she's becoming familiar with her large outdoor pen. I've noticed she has major pyramiding. I need some tips on how to slowly make her shell smoother and healthier. She is about 7 years old and not sure if making her shell "normal" is even possible.

I have experience in raising several box turtles and Sulcatas. (Have a 105 pounder) but never rescued a tort.
Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1384579603.790867.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1384579651.483360.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1384579676.493613.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mikeh

5 Year Member
It appears her pyramiding has already subsided. Her last growth of couple years to present or about seems to be very smooth. At some point in the past the husbandry was drastically improved at least in part.

Is she being housed with a Russian or that's her previous accommodation?

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
Her pyramiding isn't that bad and over the years with healthy eating her shell will smooth out a little more but there is no thing you can do but feed properly and provide proper lighting. Also provide calcium powder on her food. Good luck!

Red_tomato

5 Year Member
mikeh said:
It appears her pyramiding has already subsided. Her last growth of couple years to present or about seems to be very smooth. At some point in the past the husbandry was drastically improved at least in part.

Is she being housed with a Russian or that's her previous accommodation?

Thanks for the replies. She is getting proper nutrition now and only hope she is happier than in her previous living conditions. She is very active and vivid now.

Yes, she is being housed with a pair of Russians and a pair of box turtles in a large outdoor pen (20x20) bad idea? I've never noticed any possible issues. Pen is large enough to avoid each other need be. But any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks again.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Beaumont, CA.
Very nice Redfoot!
Housing different species together can lead to one being exposed to parasites or other organisms that their systems cannot handle.
From what I have learned, this can eventually lead to sickness and death.
I have my 3 separate species of tortoises ( Redfoots, Desert and Greek) in completely separate enclosures, with all conditions geared for the particular species needs. Each if them has different needs.
That Redfoot is very lucky that you rescues her.
[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]