Oral antibiotic administration tips

redfootedcake

Location (City and/or State)
Seattle
We have had our 6 month old red foot about a month. She really hasn’t eaten much since we got her and the vet had us bring her in. She was diagnosed with parasites in her fecal float and prescribed Metronozadole for a total of 21 doses. Are there any tips or tricks anyone has to give oral meds via syringe? It was distressing for her ( and me) watching the vet tech give these. Thanks everyone!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I had a baby box turtle on liquid antibiotics a few years ago. I used a tsp or so of stinky canned cat food and mixed it in there. It worked great. It might be something to consider though redfoot don' eat nearly as much protein as boxies so hopefully someone else will give some insight too.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
We have had our 6 month old red foot about a month. She really hasn’t eaten much since we got her and the vet had us bring her in. She was diagnosed with parasites in her fecal float and prescribed Metronozadole for a total of 21 doses. Are there any tips or tricks anyone has to give oral meds via syringe? It was distressing for her ( and me) watching the vet tech give these. Thanks everyone!
Does your vet have tortoise / reptile experience? Metronidazole is used for protozoan and bacterial imbalances, but usually dosed as 2 treatments 3-4 days apart. For more serious issues, it can be prescribed as 5 to even 7 daily doses. I personally would ask your vet about 21 doses. Doesn't hurt to ask questions.

Most oral medication is best give to tortoises in food, as Lisa suggests. I have used a softened pellet of Mazuri that I then put the drop of medication in. Since all my tortoises love Mazuri, that normally works easily. I always offer food after their nice, warm bath, which also stimulated their activity level and they eat eagerly. Use a small enough amount of Mazuri to ensure the tortoise eats it all, and gets the full dose.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I wondered about the 21 thing too. I've only ever done two doses.

redfootedcake

Seattle
The vet is an exotic bird and reptile center. Interesting about the number of doses. The vet had us giving 7 days on/ 7 days off for total of 21 doses. I’ll call later today and ask about that. I’ll try the cat food trick too. I’m hoping after a few days of meds her appetite will improve. Thanks for the help:)