need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elton

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Malaysia
hi everyone, now i have 1 russian tortoise, i was plan to get sulcata tortoise, is they can put together? sulcata take how long to grow around 1 feet size?

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
It's really never a good idea to house different species together. Even if they have the same care requirements, there is still a risk of disease transfer, and the possibilty of bullying.

The speed that a Sulcata grows has a lot to do with environmental factors, but they grow quickly.

Elton

5 Year Member
Malaysia
NudistApple said:
It's really never a good idea to house different species together. Even if they have the same care requirements, there is still a risk of disease transfer, and the possibilty of bullying.

The speed that a Sulcata grows has a lot to do with environmental factors, but they grow quickly.

thanks for the information, but at my country very hard to get russian tortoise, i already look for a lot shop and online shop as well, but i cant get it, only the sulcata tortoise i can get, that is the reason that i plan to get it... :(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The Russian and the sulcata can it be put together. One will end up sick or dead.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
You should not house different species of tortoises together. Especially sulcatas. They will dominate. Your Russian may get badly hurt .

Elton

5 Year Member
Malaysia
wellington said:
The Russian and the sulcata can it be put together. One will end up sick or dead.

so serious???
do you where can i get russian tortoise from any country?

mainey34 said:
You should not house different species of tortoises together. Especially sulcatas. They will dominate. Your Russian may get badly hurt .

ok, noted...
any recommend tortoise i can mix with russian tortoise??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Elton. You should not mix ANY species. Keep Russians with Russians or sulcatas with sulcatas. There are no species that should be mixed. You also have to be careful mixing individuals of the same species as some times they will not get along. Sex ratios must be carefully controlled so you don't have more than one adult male to an enclosure. With Russians the females sometimes don't get along either.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I agree, no different kinds of tortoises should be housed together. Tortoises don't really get "lonely" if they are kept alone (since in the wild they don't really spend much time with other torts), but it is sure fun to watch them interact.

Do you currently have a male or a female? 2 males generally don't get along, 2 females sometimes do, a male and a female end up mating so much the female gets stressed... better to have 1 male and 2 or 3 females... so bottom line, having just 1 might be better altogether.

I would recommend being patient and waiting to find another Russian tortoise - Testudo horsfieldii are sometimes also known by other names, what country do you live in?

If you do get another Russian tort, please keep in mind that a quarantine (keeping the new tortoise in a separate enclosure) for 3-6 months is highly recommended. Have a veterinarian check a fecal sample of both torts for worms or other parasites... observe health, to make sure you aren't introducing any illness to your tortoise.

Good luck!

Elton said:
wellington said:

so serious???

mainey34 said:

ok, noted...

Elton

5 Year Member
Malaysia
biochemnerd808 said:
I agree, no different kinds of tortoises should be housed together. Tortoises don't really get "lonely" if they are kept alone (since in the wild they don't really spend much time with other torts), but it is sure fun to watch them interact.

Do you currently have a male or a female? 2 males generally don't get along, 2 females sometimes do, a male and a female end up mating so much the female gets stressed... better to have 1 male and 2 or 3 females... so bottom line, having just 1 might be better altogether.

I would recommend being patient and waiting to find another Russian tortoise - Testudo horsfieldii are sometimes also known by other names, what country do you live in?

If you do get another Russian tort, please keep in mind that a quarantine (keeping the new tortoise in a separate enclosure) for 3-6 months is highly recommended. Have a veterinarian check a fecal sample of both torts for worms or other parasites... observe health, to make sure you aren't introducing any illness to your tortoise.

Good luck!

Elton said:
wellington said:

so serious???

mainey34 said:

ok, noted...

hi, thanks you so much for your information, actually my tortoise around 1 yr old only, so i not sure is male or female. I am from Malaysia, now at my country only can get sulcata tortoise, leopard tortoise and red foot tortoise, other tortoise can't get because of our country legal problem...

Tom said:
Hi Elton. You should not mix ANY species. Keep Russians with Russians or sulcatas with sulcatas. There are no species that should be mixed. You also have to be careful mixing individuals of the same species as some times they will not get along. Sex ratios must be carefully controlled so you don't have more than one adult male to an enclosure. With Russians the females sometimes don't get along either.

thanks for the information...:)

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
We had an exchange student stay with us from Malaysia. A little off topic, I know! But so nice to see someone on here from such a small country.

Elton

5 Year Member
Malaysia
LuckysGirl007 said:
We had an exchange student stay with us from Malaysia. A little off topic, I know! But so nice to see someone on here from such a small country.

hi, nice to meet you... :)
because of legal problem, a lot animal we need to have permit only can rear them.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
I would not advise putting a Russian and a sulcata in the same space for any significant length of time. Even if your animals both end up being of mild temperament, the possibility of incidental injury grows as the sulcata grows. As little ones, it could work for a while, but one day the disparity grows a bit much and then risk grows significantly. Imagine a Russian tackling a piece of food. Imagine an adult sulcata making a bite for the same piece of food at the same time. My smallest animals can fit over ten times in the mouths of my largest, so it would be unwise to leave them to the same spaces regardless of species difference or fictional pathogenic presence (in my case).

Elton

5 Year Member
Malaysia
LuckysGirl007 said:
Can you get a permit? Or are they hard to get?

only few type of tortoise can get permit, like sulcata tortoise, russian tortoise, leopard tortoise & red food tortoise, only sulcata easy to get from my country...

Baoh said:
I would not advise putting a Russian and a sulcata in the same space for any significant length of time. Even if your animals both end up being of mild temperament, the possibility of incidental injury grows as the sulcata grows. As little ones, it could work for a while, but one day the disparity grows a bit much and then risk grows significantly. Imagine a Russian tackling a piece of food. Imagine an adult sulcata making a bite for the same piece of food at the same time. My smallest animals can fit over ten times in the mouths of my largest, so it would be unwise to leave them to the same spaces regardless of species difference or fictional pathogenic presence (in my case).

hi Baoh, thanks for your information
do you have any recommend tortoise can put with russian tortoise?

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Elton said:
LuckysGirl007 said:
Can you get a permit? Or are they hard to get?

only few type of tortoise can get permit, like sulcata tortoise, russian tortoise, leopard tortoise & red food tortoise, only sulcata easy to get from my country...

Baoh said:

hi Baoh, thanks for your information
do you have any recommend tortoise can put with russian tortoise?

I would most easily recommend another female Russian if any. I have successfully kept other Testudo species with Russians after matching for size and behavior, but it is not a balancing act I would advise a new keeper to take on. There are no guarantees that even females of the same species will get along, although having all females or several females with one male tends to improve things in my general experience. In terms of behavior, my Hermann's have been as rough or rougher than my Russians. I have a single Russian with a group of Hermann's (and a couple marginated tortoises) right now, but they are all young, so their behaviors are likely to change dramatically as they mature. *If* (big if) all of the animals end up the intended sexes (one was incubated for male and all of the others were incubated for female), then I am not likely to experience a problem with these CB tortoises if things go according to my many previous experiences. If not, I will separate problem animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.