need some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brkfastatiffanyz

5 Year Member
Hi everyone! I am new here having recently acquired a red foot tortoise from a family who did not have the time. She used to be so active! Coming out to play when she heard her name (Shelly), coming out for food, she was so loveable. About a month ago she just stopped. She seems sluggish like she can't move.

Here are the specifics:

She used to live on a coconut hull substrate with a water dish, her food dish and her hide. She used to have a red heat lamp bulb and a UVA bulb on opposite ends.

I've been reading through the forums and I've been trouble shooting and playing with her setup

She has some sphagnum moss in heated end with her water/ bath there's a ramp of coconut hull to help her get into it although I have to put her in and out because she won't climb into it to drink anything. On the other end I have a temporary humidifier and her hide where the UVA light is. The light is on a timer 12 hours

Humidity is around 70-80 I spray her 2-3 times a day

Temperature ranges from 65 night to 80 day.

I've tried feeding her everything turnip greens, escarole, dandelion, pineapple, strawberry, cantelope. I tried giving her protein rehydrated cat food with calcium. She has a cuttle bone she won't touch anything!

She used to love everything!

Now I've noticed it's like she has gunk in her eyes like we get with sleep? She hardly opens them unless I spray her then she will or if she's walking around the house a bit. I'm just worried she is not her normal playful self and she isn't eating.

Any help would be extremely beneficial thank you for taking the time.

Here are some pictures of her setup if anyone can help/give suggestions.

http://s383.photobucket.com/albums/...6-A27E-671075F31751-1425-0000029F978E27F0.jpg

http://s383.photobucket.com/albums/...2-84B6-8BBA89B67BD9-1425-0000029F80FF42D3.jpg

I ordered a Reptile fogger to replace the big humidifier, which has only been in there 2 days so it's not the lack of space that keeps Shelly from moving I don't think...

Steve_McQueen

5 Year Member
The night time temps are too cold. Aim for a steady 82 degrees day and night. You can use a CHE on a thermostat to keep it nice and steady.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Humidity is around 70-80 I spray her 2-3 times a day

Temperature ranges from 65 night to 80 day.

This is a bad mix here....if you are running that humidity (and with this species that is aok) yet your temps drop to 65 and don't ever rise over 80...then your tort is chilled and wet--this can be a tremendous problem....

I would bump your temps to 80-85 "always" and I would drop your humidity significantly (40) while your tort has a chance to dry out a bit but not all together dry....

I would offer warm water soaks each day a couple times a day since you are bumping the temps and decreasing the humidity...and I would be sure your little tort does not get in any cool draft while soaking, nor in enclosure and when you move him from soak to enclosure I would wrap him up in a towel so he does not catch a draft....

I have to put her in and out because she won't climb into it to drink anything

What type of water dish are you using?

UVA light is. The light is on a timer 12 hours....does your tort ever get access to any UVB? This is necessary from time to time...if your tort gets outside natural sun time a few times a week then an indoor uvb light is not so imperative.....

she won't touch anything!
She used to love everything!
she has gunk in her eyes like
She hardly opens them

These items here are certain signs that the enclosure is lacking the proper set up....

Is she currently set up the same way she was when she was with prior family? Was she thriving when in her prior set up with prior family?

May we see a picture of her face and her legs please?

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Phoenix AZ aria
This problem happens a lot with new tortoise owners, The most important thing with tortoises is TEMPERATURE!!!
You need to raise you temps to at least 80 day and night, your basking spot should be no less that 93, no more that 100. Do you have any way to measure temps? (the little temp dials with the arrow that points to the 'right' temp are Not accurate) Try giving your tort a 15-20 min 90-95 degree bath with water that comes up just past the bottom of her/his shell ever day for about a week. You need to make sure that the water stays warm, there are a few ways to do this: some people put the little bowl or dish of water under the basking light, some people keep replacing the water with new warm stuff... but what ever you do just make sure he is nice and warm. Please post some pictures of your enclosure to.

Oh you might want to check out my thread for how to take accurate temp readings here:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-66977.html

Brkfastatiffanyz

5 Year Member
I am not sure about the bulb actually, it is a coil light, that's all I know, and I only leave it on for about 10 hours.

I raised the temperature this morning before I left for work. I guess I just need some redirection on how I should set up my enclosure and I'll start from the beginning.

I have:
a hide
coconut hull substrate
sphagnum moss
ceramic heat emitter 100watt
a coil uvb light
8" salad plate

what would you recommend for a light?should my light be on a timer?

I can pick up another large tub for her to move around if she needs more room. I took the humidifier out so she can move around if she likes.

I guess I am asking what the setup should be for each thing.

I know there has to be a hot side and a cool side. what should the temps for each side?
humidity for each side?

where should I put her food in relation to these lights?
same with the water bath
and the hide

should the coconut hull substrate be throughout the enclosure?

what about sphagnum moss? I heard they love it.

What should I try feeding her? she used to love spring mixes (no spinach I know)
I've got escarole, turnip greens, dandelion, pinapple, strawberry, cantelope, rehydrated cat food with calcium no vitamin D

what type of water bath would you recommend?

how can I keep heat up for her?

I just adore my poor little tortoise and she is so sweet so thank you in advance!

I will take close up pictures of her tonight to show her feet and legs when I take her out for exercise after work.

I should be getting a new thermometer/hydrometer gauge in the mail today to be more precise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your subject line is "need some advice"

My advice to you is turn off that coil bulb immediately and throw it away!!! They are harmful to tortoise's eyes.

Redfooted tortoises don't need a hot side and a cool side. They can be kept at about 80-85F degrees all over the whole habitat. Also, from the pictures, it looks like your habitat is too small for the size of the tortoise.

You can use a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) to warm the habitat. This provides heat without light...and redfooted tortoises don't need a bright light shining on them. When they are outside, they may sit in the sun to warm up, but in an indoor habitat, with an overall temp of 80-85F degrees, they don't need a spot to sit under the light and warm up.

I would disconnect the humidifier until you can reach a good temp for the tortoise.

Status
Not open for further replies.