Need outdoor enclosure advice

Starla

Location (City and/or State)
South Wales Uk
main.php

A dog kennel style outdoor enclosure will protect your tortoises from outside predators.
I love this. What is it called?

matheny00

Anaheim, Calif
Can Smokey get to any of the other sides of your soon to be privacy fence?
If not, maybe you could put mesh under that one side, just like when I built Chug's enclosure. Called lath at Lowe's. Mine goes down 12 in below the wood. That should be enough to frustrate a dog if he doesn't have multiple days to work on it.
View attachment 247699View attachment 247700
How long before that lathe trusts and breaks down? Would not maybe dura rock sheets cut down.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
How long before that lathe trusts and breaks down? Would not maybe dura rock sheets cut down.
Well, I don't know. But it never rains here, so the water only comes from my watering the plants. I don't think it soaks in the deep. It's been there one year, and no rust so far, but we'll see what happens. It is galvanized...isn't that supposed to slow rusting?

matheny00

Anaheim, Calif
Well, I don't know. But it never rains here, so the water only comes from my watering the plants. I don't think it soaks in the deep. It's been there one year, and no rust so far, but we'll see what happens. It is galvanized...isn't that supposed to slow rusting?
Yes if it is galvanized it will slow down rusting

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV
My enclosure was pretty simple. It’s has just pressure treated plywood, with electrical fencing running around the perimeter. It’s less expensive and easier to plant. Plus I could make a pretty large enclosure this way. The bottom is just the ground. Granted I have redfoots and the only digging I get is when they are laying eggs.
Here is a picture View attachment 247726
Really nice!

SULCY

NEW YORK
I have found that if you put wire down about 6 in. underground and made into an L shape that keeps many animals from digging down. They start to dig next to the enclosure and can't go far because they hit the wire. Even if they dig a little away from the enclosure. Hope that makes sense. If you just go straight down instead of an L an animal can still dig under the wire if it is determined to. We used to raise pheasants and learned this the hard way.

Sisypha

I have found that if you put wire down about 6 in. underground and made into an L shape that keeps many animals from digging down. They start to dig next to the enclosure and can't go far because they hit the wire. Even if they dig a little away from the enclosure. Hope that makes sense. If you just go straight down instead of an L an animal can still dig under the wire if it is determined to. We used to raise pheasants and learned this the hard way.

I'm going to need an outdoor enclosure for 2 growing Leopard torts eventually so I'm planning ahead. My property is already surrounded by century fence & 'Pards don't dig much, so I 'm mostly interested in keeping possum and armadillos out.

Possibly a dumb question, but should the fence's underground "L" point in- or outwards in my case? (I am an urban Yankee transplant; do these weird nocturnal critters even dig?) Thanks

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV
I'm going to need an outdoor enclosure for 2 growing Leopard torts eventually so I'm planning ahead. My property is already surrounded by century fence & 'Pards don't dig much, so I 'm mostly interested in keeping possum and armadillos out.

Possibly a dumb question, but should the fence's underground "L" point in- or outwards in my case? (I am an urban Yankee transplant; do these weird nocturnal critters even dig?) Thanks

Possums not so much,but armadillos? Oh yeah, they dig. I wouldn’t think they’d be interested in getting into your enclosure though.