need opinions?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikayydee

5 Year Member
I've had my little tortoise for about 8 months, when I got it as a gift it wasn't to small it has grown a little, I can tell, but I was wondering, I don't have any uvb light for it since I gotten it, I take it outside very often and she seems very good and her shell is really round and soft :) she gets plenty of sunlight :)! But can someone tell me if that's ok or should I get the uvb, I really don't see it necessary though. I do have heat lamp btw.any suggestions ??

mikayydee

5 Year Member
mikayydee said:
I've had my little tortoise for about 8 months, when I got it as a gift it wasn't to small it has grown a little, I can tell, but I was wondering, I don't have any uvb light for it since I gotten it, I take it outside very often and she seems very good and her shell is really round and soft :)! But can someone tell me if that's ok or should I get the uvb, I really don't see it necessary though. I do have heat lamp btw.any suggestions ??

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If she gets outside enough, then no you don't need a UVB light. However, if her shell is "soft" then there is a problem. I hope that is a typo and it's round and smooth.

mikayydee

5 Year Member
Ok thank you :)! Yes I mean her shell is smooth not soft. Thanks

mikayydee

5 Year Member
Do you know how often should I be taking my tortoise to a vet btw??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
If your tortoise is getting out for more than a half hour a couple of times a week, then you shouldn't need any artificial indoor UV. This is an absolute minimum in my opinion. More time outside in a safe enclosure is certainly better.

I have mixed feelings about the vet. If you find a good one, you can have a great experience and it will be helpful for you to already have a relationship with them should something ever go wrong. Many vets, however, probably know less about tortoises and their needs than you. Personally, I don't take my tortoises to a vet unless there is something terribly wrong and I need their equipment or a lab that they work with to diagnose something. I have a good relationship with several vets though due to my and my wife's profession. So for me, walking in with a tortoise for the first time would be no big deal since I already know them. For you, it might be worth it to go meet them and pay for an office visit, just to get to know them and get in their system. We have seen many problems either caused or made worse by a vet here on the forum, so be cautious about who you go to and what treatment they recommend. Not all vets are bad, but not very many of them know their way around a tortoise. If you find a good one, treat them like gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.