Need help

Jman14

Location (City and/or State)
Cali
Hi, I just started here and I’m concerned with my Russian tortoises the shells seems to have small Divets in it on some areas I don’t know if that’s just how his shell is. If you can help me thank you so much.image.jpg

Jman14

Cali
I’m very concerned because I love my Russian tortoises and me and my mom rescued them a while back they were not fed Right and did not have the right outdoor enclosure.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
I’m very concerned because I love my Russian tortoises and me and my mom rescued them a while back they were not fed Right and did not have the right outdoor enclosure.

The tortoise's shell looks fine. That's just how a wild caught tortoise's carapace looks like after being poached and brought to the market. Poachers throw them in sacks along with other tortoises so during travel the tortoises shells bash along one another. The tortoises would also try their best to find steady footing so their claws will unintentionally scratch and mar at their neighboring tortoise's shell.

Even though this tortoise may be an adult they should still regularly get soaked. Please follow these guidelines to ensure your tortoise remains healthy.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Nothing to be concerned with that I can see.
Like he is wild caught and just scares of the wild or transport. Possibly a couple dog teeth mark's.

Jman14

Cali
The tortoise's shell looks fine. That's just how a wild caught tortoise's carapace looks like after being poached and brought to the market. Poachers throw them in sacks along with other tortoises so during travel the tortoises shells bash along one another. The tortoises would also try their best to find steady footing so their claws will unintentionally scratch and mar at their neighboring tortoise's shell.

Even though this tortoise may be an adult they should still regularly get soaked. Please follow these guidelines to ensure your tortoise remains healthy.

Jman14

Cali
Man that’s so sad, I was really hoping that they caught from the wild I wish people wouldn’t poach them it’s sad. Thank you tho I appreciate it

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Man that’s so sad, I was really hoping that they caught from the wild I wish people wouldn’t poach them it’s sad. Thank you tho I appreciate it

WIld-caught is the same thing as poaching. There is no real difference other than scaling. I'm not against or condoning the practice because there are far too many reasons why these types of operations exist and how easily it is to recruit and employ desperate enough people from less than ideal nations that are willing to do these types of acts in order to feed their families.

What I will say is that tortoise care and knowledge would not be as far along as it is now if it weren't for illegal trading. Nowadays, people most of the world have access to beautiful, pristine, captive-bred specimens because of it.

Jman14

Cali
WIld-caught is the same thing as poaching. There is no real difference other than scaling. I'm not against or condoning the practice because there are far too many reasons why these types of operations exist and how easily it is to recruit and employ desperate enough people from less than ideal nations that are willing to do these types of acts in order to feed their families.

What I will say is that tortoise care and knowledge would not be as far along as it is now if it weren't for illegal trading. Nowadays, people most of the world have access to beautiful, pristine, captive-bred specimens because of it.

Thanks I really appreciate it, I’m only 14 and really trying to give them the best life and the best care. And I’m trying to educate myself as much as I can.

Last edited:

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Thanks I really appreciate it, I’m only 14 and really trying to give them the best life and the best care.

Read the guide linked above. Don't listen to other websites that offer conflicting advice.
1. Change whatever is specified when it comes to equipment.
2. Make sure temperature levels are accurate.
3. Feed your tortoise a steady diet composed of broad leafy weeds, flowers, and succulents. No fruit. As little grocery greens as possible.
4. Soak regularly to help the tortoise poop more.

Jman14

Cali
My tortoises have a enclosure outside is this a problem? they’re not in it because the smoke is bad rn do I need to worry about the air quality?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 11

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
My tortoises have a enclosure outside is this a problem? they’re not in it because the smoke is bad rn do I need to worry about the air quality?

No it's good to have an outdoor enclosure. Even better if you outdoor temperatures are high enough to keep them outside permanently.

What are the dimensions of the outdoor enclosure? 8ft x 4ft is the minimal recommendation for a single adult Russian tortoise. Looks like you have plenty of outdoor space to make that happen and more if you wish. Make sure the outdoor enclosure has multiple shade areas, hides, water trays, and wet areas for the tortoise.

Regarding air quality I believe it's good to be safe than sorry. In the wild, tortoises like Sulcatas actually retreat deep into their tunnels that they themselves burrowed in order to escape from the fire. Tortoises in captive environments don't have this option. Better to just keep them inside for the time being if able.

Jman14

Cali
Ok thank you, I have 2 that live together which I know is not good I want to make a second enclosure my parents just think that we shouldn’t because they’ve been together for so long. Also what do I do for hibernation like it do I just put them in a big giant plastic container with the right type of bedding, and put it in my garage?

Last edited:

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Ok thank you, I have 2 that live together which I know is not good I want to make a second enclosure my parents just think that we shouldn’t because they’ve been together for so long. Also what do I do for hibernation like it do I just put them in a big giant plastic container with the right type of bedding, and put it in my garage?

I am not the right person to ask about hibernation. I stopped trying years and years ago because the person that first taught me about tortoises was in reality just winging it from the get go. That experience kind of soured me from bothering to mess with it again.

You should definitely separate those two tortoises. Most tortoises species in nature are solitary creatures. They never hang with other tortoises in the wild. In fact, they're extremely territorial because they need to compete for food, shelter, and water. Another tortoise companion means dead weight because tortoises always need to be wary of larger predators in the wild. They're cautious bottom-feeders. Having another tortoise in a captive environment means war. It always eventually leads to war, especially with Russian tortoises.

Another note: Outdoor enclosures are very cheap to build. Why not just do it if you have the space?

Jman14

Cali
Yeah I don’t have any space indoor, I will probably just build another outdoor enclosure. Thank you for the help??

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Yeah I don’t have any space indoor, I will probably just build another outdoor enclosure. Thank you for the help??

The link I provided above already has an affordable and sturdy outdoor enclosure you can easily replicate. There's also information about a night time heat/humid box to keep your tortoises in for when night time temperatures get far below 60F. You'll need to build physical barriers in the box to prevent the tortoises from being able to see or touch each other. But that shouldn't be an issue.

Jman14

Cali
Ok it’s a lil hard for me to understand but I’ll try to find videos and stuff on it to.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Ok it’s a lil hard for me to understand but I’ll try to find videos and stuff on it to.

Don't use youtube as a guide. There are no 100% accurate videos out there regarding tortoise care. There are tutorial building threads in this forum but I don't remember where all the relevant material is located. I suggest using the search function in the forum and or creating a new thread to ask more questions before resorting elsewhere for help.

Jman14

Cali
Don't use youtube as a guide. There are no 100% accurate videos out there regarding tortoise care. There are tutorial building threads in this forum but I don't remember where all the relevant material is located. I suggest using the search function in the forum and or creating a new thread to ask more questions before resorting elsewhere for help.
Ok I’ll do that thank you??