Need help with sulcata diet!

ButtonSulcata

Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
I’ve heard different things on %s of what I should feed my sulcata , and I’d like to do my best to prevent pyramiding , so if anyone knows how much fiber, calcium, ect should be in my tortoises diet I’d love the help. Thank you !

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh boy... You've been reading all the old wrong stuff and even in your tiny avatar pic, I can see you've got some big problems to fix. I'm glad you've found us. We will get you on the right track.

First and foremost, pyramiding isn't caused by food or lack of calcium. It is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry.

Here is your red pill:

After you read that, come back and we can talk about how deep this rabbit hole really goes.

ButtonSulcata

Tennessee
Oh boy... You've been reading all the old wrong stuff and even in your tiny avatar pic, I can see you've got some big problems to fix. I'm glad you've found us. We will get you on the right track.

First and foremost, pyramiding isn't caused by food or lack of calcium. It is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry.

Here is your red pill:

After you read that, come back and we can talk about how deep this rabbit hole really goes.
Thank you so much, I didn’t know I was harming my tortoise in the long run by having his enclosure set up the way it is and I’m going to fix it as soon as I can!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you so much, I didn’t know I was harming my tortoise in the long run by having his enclosure set up the way it is and I’m going to fix it as soon as I can!
Almost all of the info you find out in the world points you in the wrong direction. I went through this same thing 29 years ago with my very first sulcata, and things have not changed much in all that time, except for right here on this tortoise forum.

You and your tortoise are lucky you found us and decided to join! :)