Pyramiding in baby sulcatas?

Kaeloni

Location (City and/or State)
Montana
Does anyone have a good reference photo of a young sulcata that already has pyramiding vs one that does not? I have a friend who plans to buy one at a reptile expo next weekend. I saw pictures of the babies. To me, they look like they already have some pyramiding. Keep in mind I have no experience what so ever with them. I have just seen and learned about them here. Also, I read the care sheet that was provided by the breeder of the young sulcatas. It looked good to me as far as enclosure size, how big they get, and proper diet. However, not once was humidity mentioned. Not at all. It also didn’t mention them needing to be soaked. Do sulcatas not need to be soaked? If anyone could show me reference pictures I’d appreciate it. I’d like to be be able to show my friend what a well started baby looks like vs one that is not well started. I’ve already printed off care sheets from here for her. If needed I could show pictures of the babies in question although I’m hesitant because I didn’t take the pictures. Thank you.

Melis

Maryland
Does anyone have a good reference photo of a young sulcata that already has pyramiding vs one that does not? I have a friend who plans to buy one at a reptile expo next weekend. I saw pictures of the babies. To me, they look like they already have some pyramiding. Keep in mind I have no experience what so ever with them. I have just seen and learned about them here. Also, I read the care sheet that was provided by the breeder of the young sulcatas. It looked good to me as far as enclosure size, how big they get, and proper diet. However, not once was humidity mentioned. Not at all. It also didn’t mention them needing to be soaked. Do sulcatas not need to be soaked? If anyone could show me reference pictures I’d appreciate it. I’d like to be be able to show my friend what a well started baby looks like vs one that is not well started. I’ve already printed off care sheets from here for her. If needed I could show pictures of the babies in question although I’m hesitant because I didn’t take the pictures. Thank you.
I would tell your friend not to go with that breeder just based on the fact that humidity wasn’t mentioned. That most likely guarantees the babies are started too dry, which can cause all sorts of health problems, including death. Sulcatas most definitely need to be soaked, daily as hatchlings, and need at least 80% humidity. Welcome your friend to this forum. There are plenty of breeders that they could get a healthy, well started baby from.

Kaeloni

Montana
I would tell your friend not to go with that breeder just based on the fact that humidity wasn’t mentioned. That most likely guarantees the babies are started too dry, which can cause all sorts of health problems, including death. Sulcatas most definitely need to be soaked, daily as hatchlings, and need at least 80% humidity. Welcome your friend to this forum. There are plenty of breeders that they could get a healthy, well started baby from.

That’s what I thought. I knew humidity was important and I thought babies needed soaked daily. I questioned myself after reading their care sheet. I will let her know that those babies weren’t started correctly and are not going to be healthy. It’s really sad how many ignorant people are breeding these large, beautiful animals. They end up dead or in rescues. It makes me sick.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
We have some great breeders on here. Not sure if they have any at this moment but it would be best for the health of her tortoise to wait until they have one available.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Short answer: Tell her to buy directly from a breeder that starts them with daily soaks and monsoon conditions.

If she buys one at the expo from a breeder that starts them dry and doesn't soak enough, chances of death are high. But it won't die for weeks or months. It will seem totally normal and healthy until a week or two before it dies. They will spend hundreds on vet bills because they want to "do something" to save the little baby that they've fallen in love with, but if their kidneys are damaged in those first few weeks or months before sale, they cannot be saved. Just don't buy it there. Read number one here:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
There is a reason why it is number one.

Kaeloni

Montana
We have some great breeders on here. Not sure if they have any at this moment but it would be best for the health of her tortoise to wait until they have one available.

Will babies be posted on here as they come available? Or how will I know who breeds them? I talked to her and she doesn’t mind waiting. It would better to get one in spring or summer in our climate. It was just the convenience of being able to get one locally that drew her to the expo.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Will babies be posted on here as they come available? Or how will I know who breeds them? I talked to her and she doesn’t mind waiting. It would better to get one in spring or summer in our climate. It was just the convenience of being able to get one locally that drew her to the expo.
@Tom might could tell you.

Kaeloni

Montana
Yikes! On social media this breeder was asked why their sulcatas have pyramiding. The breeder responded “it’s caused by a growth spurt and will even out over time.” I’m really glad that my friend brought me into this and with the help from all of you, we saved her from buying an unhealthy tortoise. It breaks my heart though. What about these poor babies? I’m going to shut up now. Going off on a rampage about something I can’t do anything about will do me no good. Thanks for all of your help and I will do my best to find her a healthy, well started baby.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My adults lay Jan through April or May. They hatch after about 90 days, and then I start them for a month or two before selling them all. Mine sell out pretty quickly. Check with @Arizona Sulcata or @Lancecham to see if they've got any left for the season. Tyler at tortoisesupply.com might have some too.

Kaeloni

Montana
My adults lay Jan through April or May. They hatch after about 90 days, and then I start them for a month or two before selling them all. Mine sell out pretty quickly. Check with @Arizona Sulcata or @Lancecham to see if they've got any left for the season. Tyler at tortoisesupply.com might have some too.

Thanks Tom!