Need help with substrate! Besgrow Orchiata?

Via Infinito

Location (City and/or State)
Viet Nam
https://besgrow.com/products/orchiata/

I’m using a mix of topsoil, coco coir, sphagnum moss
But I want to replace 80% of it with this orchid bark from this brand Besgrow Orchiata.
Pictures of it below.
Is there any advice on how to use this? It is made of pine trees called Pinus radiata and I don’t know if it is safe, it says it has dolomite in it.
It has like a slightly musky pine smell.

Attachments

• 97CB6E1A-3308-4FE8-AFD6-4568C96536F3.jpeg
    97CB6E1A-3308-4FE8-AFD6-4568C96536F3.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 22
  • BE0857F7-5148-422D-B602-5BC23922E059.jpeg
    BE0857F7-5148-422D-B602-5BC23922E059.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20

Helyun

Deland Fl
Just be careful, I got inundated with these little bugs that come in the bark. Only thing that worked was the fly tape paper stuff they're awful

Via Infinito

Viet Nam
Just be careful, I got inundated with these little bugs that come in the bark. Only thing that worked was the fly tape paper stuff they're awful
Are these springtails?
I have a population of them in the substrate right now, I help keep the population down by pouring a jug of boiling hot water about every 2-3 days at their concentrated sites, usually underneath the feeding disc and underneath the log. They always come back after 3 days.
Boiling hot water solved two things for me: disinfecting and also add moisture to the soil.

But apparently these bugs help cleaning fecal matter in the substrate and they don't seem to bother my tortoise.

I just don't like how soil tainted my tortoise skin. That's why I'm reducing soil concentration in the mix (not completely).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
https://besgrow.com/products/orchiata/

I’m using a mix of topsoil, coco coir, sphagnum moss
But I want to replace 80% of it with this orchid bark from this brand Besgrow Orchiata.
Pictures of it below.
Is there any advice on how to use this? It is made of pine trees called Pinus radiata and I don’t know if it is safe, it says it has dolomite in it.
It has like a slightly musky pine smell.

The orchid bark I use is fir bark. I don't know anything about the Pinus radiata, sorry.