orchid bark

JanelP

Location (City and/or State)
Idaho
So I was looking for orchid bark to put in my enclosure and I cant find any around town so I went to online and I found some on amazon that is from new zealand. it says it is made from pinus radiata, which I looked up is monteray pine. I thought I read that pine is toxic? I'm just wondering before I order it. Thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't think it's the same has here in the US. I found it is made of either ground coastal redwood bark, ground Douglas fir bark, or Osmunda tree fern fiber.
Home Depot carries orchid bark. You can probably order it online thru them.

JanelP

Idaho
I don't think it's the same has here in the US. I found it is made of either ground coastal redwood bark, ground Douglas fir bark, or Osmunda tree fern fiber.
Home Depot carries orchid bark. You can probably order it online thru them.
Ok, I didnt check online. I went in there today, they had like a midwestern blend bark mulch, but it didnt have any info on what was in it, I was unsure safety. I will check online.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You need to look at a garden center. Big hardware stores usually don't have it. Barb says her HD has it, but I've never seen it at HD anywhere else in the country. OSH is an exception and they usually stock it in 1.0 cu ft bags for about $10.

If your garden center says they don't have it, ask them what people use for growing orchids. They might have it and the person answering the phone doesn't know what it is. Also called fir bark.

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
You need to look at a garden center. Big hardware stores usually don't have it. Barb says her HD has it, but I've never seen it at HD anywhere else in the country. OSH is an exception and they usually stock it in 1.0 cu ft bags for about $10.

If your garden center says they don't have it, ask them what people use for growing orchids. They might have it and the person answering the phone doesn't know what it is. Also called fir bark.
So it is just fir bark Tom? I found finlly crushed dug fir bark here by the yard and was thinking it was the same thing but wanted to be sure. I've always used cypress but am excited to try the fir

JanelP

Idaho
The stuff here that they carry for growing orchids has dirt and stuff in it as well, not just bark. I will look for fir bark though. I can find the reptibark online decently priced, maybe I'll have to stick with that if I can find it, at least I know its good.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I’ve been looking every where too. Reading all the labels. I used cypress mulch to get set up but I want that bark!!

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
I’ve been looking every where too. Reading all the labels. I used cypress mulch to get set up but I want that bark!!
I ordered from OSH like Tom suggested. It was very reasonably priced compared to anything I could find here.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So it is just fir bark Tom? I found finlly crushed dug fir bark here by the yard and was thinking it was the same thing but wanted to be sure. I've always used cypress but am excited to try the fir
Just be sure to get the "fine grade". It is pretty chunky in the larger grades.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Not sure where in "Northern California" you are... but in the Sacramento area a great garden center with three loctions called "Green Acres" carries orchid bark that I use.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The brand my hardware store carries is Black Gold. They used to sell Wonder Bark, but changed recently to Black Gold.

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
Not sure where in "Northern California" you are... but in the Sacramento area a great garden center with three loctions called "Green Acres" carries orchid bark that I use.
Thanks for the info Mark!
I'm in the marysville / yuba city area
I did call green acres and it seemed there price was good but then I found this place that sells it by the yard and seance I've got a few closed chambers I want to change I went that way I was able to get a cubic yard for $60. It's fine grade and chem an dye free. Looks to me to be the same stuff that comes in the bags

C-Turtle

Lodi, CA
I ordered my orchid bark (Doug fir) from amazon, and Ripple doesn’t seem to mind it. Though she does “burrow” (more move it out of the way) in the bark in both of her hides so her plastron is only touching coconut coir when she sleeps (which is most of the time since she’s still a baby).

Here’s a link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006GKC6HS/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20