Need help with new Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
Hello. I just got my first Indian Star tortoises last week. I keep several other kinds of tortoises so I'm well aware of basic tortoise care, but these two are unlike any hatchlings I've ever had. They aren't very active and although they eat a little, they don't eat with gusto like my other hatchlings. I've read that they're shy tortoises, but they just seem sluggish. Is this normal behavior for them?

FYI: I am keeping them in a rubbermade container on 50% coir and 50% sand. I keep one end warm (95 in the basking area) and a cool end. (It's never cooler than 70.) There is a humid hide and a pile of timothy hay in the cool end to burrow in. I always keep a small bowl of water for them to climb into. I soak them every night.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
You might want to raise the minimum temperature to 77F. Is the 95F under the basking lamp or the warm end temperature? What do you have for lights? Do you provide any night time heat?

Danny

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
95 is just the basking area. The warm end seems to be around 85. I'm just using a white basking bulb and a red bulb at night. It's a 75 watt bulb, but it's fairly close.

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I f they are true captives, they will come around. It is true that Stars in general are a little shy as babies, mine become fairly outgoing fairly quickly. It may just be the move there is always a period of adapting to a new environment. Best wishes Douglas

samstar

5 Year Member
Mine eats in the morning and sleeps throughout the rest of the day.

Starry night

5 Year Member
How are you providing uvb/uva for them. Basking bulbs do not provide the much needed uvb for them. Look into getting a reptisun 10.0 floro tube and this will provide the much needed uva/uvb. They need this in captivity because they are not getting it from the sun.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I put them outside on nice days to get sunlight (of course this week it is going to be pouring so perhaps I should look into getting one.) I live in So Cal so they can spend most of the year in a covered outdoor enclosure I have all set up for them.

Starry night

5 Year Member
They still need uvb while inside. They need this for calcium absorption and to grow. For mine I give them 12 hours with light and 12 hours without. You also need to supplement them with calcium powder with Vitamin D3. If these rules are not followed the tortoise can develop metabolic bone disease. This is the number one killer of stars. Look into getting the book on stars from Jerry fife.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Thanks - I have quite a bit of experience with tortoises, but these are my first Stars, so your advice is much appreciated! :)

Starry night

5 Year Member
You probably have more experience than me. I always just had some box turtles which I kept outside when I was much younger. I recently just got back into keeping tortoises and this is my first time keeping them inside since I am living in an apt right now until I graduate this may. I will then be looking for a house and build them a place to live in outside. We also had some very cold days this winter, which is very rare in Louisiana , so when that does happen they must be brought inside. I only want to share the little things I have learned so that you and others will be successful in keeping them. Sounds like you have all your areas covered , just need a uvb source for them. Some say don't get over a 5.0 bulb for stars but I've been using a 10.0 and I spoke to a well known breeder and he uses the 10.0 for all his stars and radiateds and his success with them. My animals seem to love the lights too.

Status
Not open for further replies.