Need help with luteolas

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
Both my luteolas have been sick off and on since I got them. They get better and then get sick again. I am clearly doing something wrong, but I don't know what. I keep them the same as my ornatas, and I haven't any any problems with them. Can someone please give me advice (especially those who actually keep luteola and ornatas - the differences in their enclosures ... etc.) By the way, my luteolas are from different sources, so it's not the turtles, it's me - can't seem to get it right.

By the way - is it pronounced loo-tee-oh-la or loo-toh-la? I have heard both so I'm not sure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kimber:

Indoors or outside? What kind of "sick?"

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
They live outside with the ornatas. They just stop eating and get lethargic. I put them on Baytril and they get better. Right now the female is so weak that she can't lift herself to walk - just scoots. I took her to the vet and her limbs are good - eyes and nose clear - no abscesses. She is eating at least. The male isn't even eating at this point.

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
thats so unfortunate, ive always heard they are to be kept the same as ornata, the only thing i could think of in terms fo differance of habitat is that they are from an even dryer climate.

As asked above what kind of sickness? googy eyes? runny stools?

Ive heard it pronounced loo toh la

well i see you responded before i could!

do you have any other native wild reptiles in your outdoor pen? Ranovirus is spreading rapidly accross the country, and can be spread via frogs toads lizerds and snakes

If they are recoving when in use of baytril id assume it is some type of infection? but if it comes back perhaps you need to continue use until the infection can be conquored... it is interesting that they get better when on but sickly when taken off. what does your vet say?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It sounds to me as if they're not warm enough. If your weather down there has been like ours up here, its warm, then cold, then warm, etc. Most of my box turtles look pretty darned poorly too. Bring them in and set them up in a large tub with lights and heat. Soak them every day in warm water and Gerber strained carrots. Don't put them back outside until the nights have warmed up to in the 60'sF. Your indoor habitat doesn't have to be "purdy," just functional. A plain old tub with some dirt to dig in, a water dish and a feeding station.

loo tea oh lah

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I do have lizards in the yard - that's it. The vet said to continue the Baytril and feed some high calorie cat/dog food until they start gaining some weight. I also de-wormed them 2 weeks ago (second dose this Sunday) with panacur just in case. The vet gave them a vitamin B shot to stimulate their appetites. She said to keep them like ornatas, but something is not going well. By the way, they are the only two that are sick and in 2 different enclosures so I know it's me that's doing something wrong. :( ) She also said if they don't improve we could deworm with Flagyl and do some blood tests.

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
that may not be it, if your other outdoor boxies arent having any of the same syptoms then it may not be so. id do what emysemys and bring them in, at least for close monitering. either way i hope they recover soon as this sub sp. is so rarely found in captivity!

Status
Not open for further replies.