Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
1. I had one of these when I was a little boy(1979). It was labeled "Western Box Turtle" at the pet store. It was much darker than most of the luteola pics I've been seeing on the net. It had markings, but they were almost obscured by how dark he was. Is there a luteola sub-subspecies that is darker than normal or a particular locality where they are known to be darker.

2. Is there a good care sheet out there for luteolas or boxies in general?

3. Anybody breeding these? I'd like to get one. A hatchling would be fine, but an older one would be fine too. I wouldn't mind adopting an adult either.

I haven't done anything with box turtles for a while, so I want to make sure I'm up to speed with all the current care info, BEFORE I get one.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Hello - I am looking to adopt some of these too. From what I understand - they lose their markings as thy get older. Maybe that's why yours looked darker. I keep several other kinds of box turtles - including ornata ornata. I think the best website is boxturtlesite.info. Tess really knows box turtles! Good luck and if you find a breeder - let me know!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks. I'll check out that site.

Mine was a W/C adult when we bought him, so who knows how old he was. Good info though. That helps narrow it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.