need help with ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

wichol98

5 Year Member
i had a question i have this lil guys with a nice set up but he wont eat what can i do or what kind of food is good to give him

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Temple City, Ca
Shelly said:
tortoisenerd said:
You probably want to look up the legality of having it in California. I believe you need a permit in the near future.

The laws are changing??

Not that the laws are changing. You have to have permits to have a DT. Just its not absolutely necessary until they are older. Some hatchling DT don't make it past a few years old, so a suggested age is 3 yrs old to get the permit for them. :)

Dawna

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Shelly said:
The laws are changing??

Not that I'm aware of. In order to keep a Gopherus tortoise...agassizii, berlandieri, polyphemus, etc...in California, you must apply to the Department of Fish & Game for a permit. Its ok to wait until the baby is about 3 years old before you apply. When the time comes, I can send you an application, or you can request one from any chapter of the California Turtle & Tortoise Club. And its no big deal. The tortoise police don't come to your house to see if you're doing anything illegal, and they don't take away your tortoise. You send in the form and they send you back the little registration sticker.

Yvonne

Sometimes its pretty hard to get new little baby tortoise started eating, and sometimes they just start right in and eat everything in sight.

Have you tried offering Spring Mix to your baby? Chop it up into bite-sized pieces. Here's a list of different things for you to try them on:

http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-5823.html

Yvonne

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Sorry if you misunderstood my post. I meant that sometime in the near future (as said above 3 years, I didn't know the exact age or time frame) you would need a permit. I thought there might have been a period of time after acquiring the DT you needed to apply within, but looks like it's a more general thing and based by age. Thanks for the help Dawna and Yvonne!

Status
Not open for further replies.