First Time Enclosure Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brewster320

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts, USA
This is my first time building an outdoors tortoise enclosure so I thought I'd do a journal showing my progress and hopefully some of you more experienced tortoise keepers can give me feed back as I go on what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong.

The tortoise this is for is my adult female Russian tortoise who I took in a few weeks ago after it had been abandoned by its previous owners. Right now she's living in some what cramp conditions(35 gallon Rubbermaid) due to the fact I wasn't ready really to take in a tortoise. All her needs are being met however and she's doing good.

I was going to purchase new materials and start from scratch but I then decided to salvage and recycle an old shelf unit my father built for my brother when we were kids at least 12 years ago and now has just been sitting in the garage gathering dust, spiders, and taking up space. Its around 4 1/2ft by 3ft and about 16inches tall, not as long as I was originally planning but it seems like it should work. If needed I could always make additions to it in the future. For now my main focus is getting her outside and into a larger enclosure.

I started by taking out all the shelving. This surprisingly was not too difficult considering back when this was made my father was nail happy when it came to building. Also please excuse the mess in the garage, my family is currently storing some items for my uncle along with junk we probably don't need like the shelf I'm using for this project and it's a real mess lol. This picture is after tearing out most of the selves and some of the backing.
9c78f593.jpg

The next part was a real pain though. The wood was filled with nails that I had to removing and it turned out it wasn't just as simply as hammering them back out. I finally figure out a system using pliers and pulled out all the nails with minimal damage to the wood.
50f20c34.jpg

The next thing I did was take one of the shelves I had torn out and screwed it on one end for a shaded area. After that I just sanded down all the rough edges.
93d13161.jpg

It is still not finished as I have to still figure out what part of the yard will be the best spot to put this, put on a predator proof roof, paint, landscaping, and figuring out what I'll be doing for shelter. I'll post more as it comes! Please leave your opinions of this so I can tweak anything that I'm doing wrong.

Attachments

• image-223668546.png
    image-223668546.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 50

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So far looking good. I realize this is to get her out of her cramped house for now and outside. However, when you do have time, I would definitely make it bigger.
One more idea. You might want to make the shade cover board you out on into a hutch. Add another board to half of the opening. She could not only go under half for shade and look out, she could also go into a hutch at the other end of the shade area and have a hutch. Just an idea:D

RonHays

5 Year Member
Oxford, Ms
It would be nice if you could go bigger but looks good to me so far.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Looking Good ! ..................

IS that RUBBER mallet? ...:p

JD~;)

Brewster320

5 Year Member
Massachusetts, USA
wellington said:
So far looking good. I realize this is to get her out of her cramped house for now and outside. However, when you do have time, I would definitely make it bigger.
One more idea. You might want to make the shade cover board you out on into a hutch. Add another board to half of the opening. She could not only go under half for shade and look out, she could also go into a hutch at the other end of the shade area and have a hutch. Just an idea:D
I like that idea for the hutch! I will probably work on that tomorrow if I get the chance.

N2TORTS said:
Looking Good ! ..................

IS that RUBBER mallet? ...:p

JD~;)

Yes it is lol! I was using it to bang out a couple of the shelves.

Making it bigger is definitely one of my priorities. I just want to make sure I can get this done before there's only like a few weeks left of good weather considering I'm in New England and have to bring her back indoors once it starts getting cold. Expansion will be my project next spring along with seeding the habitat with some weeds that she can freely graze on.

Brewster320

5 Year Member
Massachusetts, USA
Got the hutch on today but that's about it because it began to down pour and thunder severely so I had to bring it back inside. Next step will be putting on the roof. I'm hoping to build it up a little so I can grow some taller plants in there. I will probably head down to Lowes later and look around and figure out how to go about doing it.

Attachments

• image-583304114.png
    image-583304114.png
    242.8 KB · Views: 52

Brewster320

5 Year Member
Massachusetts, USA
Took the setup outside and put tort and some plants that will be going in there to get a feel for the setup. This is not the permeant sport spot for the setup although I found one that get both morning sun and some sun again later in the afternoon. Going to get a slightly smaller water bowl and some more plants though. Also still need to get the cover done along with sealing and painting. Hopefully it should be done by this next next week.

Attachments

• image-3535785752.png
    image-3535785752.png
    1,023.1 KB · Views: 42
  • image-3010213584.png
    image-3010213584.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
Status
Not open for further replies.