Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Its a hatchling desert tortoise. If you're absolutely sure that this past Spring you didn't have a female desert tortoise in your yard, then perhaps a bird dropped the little guy in there. They do that to try to break them open. Or maybe one of your neighbors has a female and the baby came under the fence.

Yvonne

wichol98

5 Year Member
i have a water bowl and it wants to spend all the time in there is that normal does he need direct sun light

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He's probably dehydrated because of wandering around since hatching. Most people set hatchlings up indoors, in which case you use a UVB light to simulate the sun. If you keep him outside, he'll need a screen over his habitat to keep birds, dogs, night time critters from getting him. They DO need the sun's rays, but in the sun full time will kill him. They're so small that they dry out inside very quickly.

Yvonne

wichol98

5 Year Member
i have him in my garage in a box with dirt water and food but since i found him i have kept him indoors with no sun light i dont have a chance to get him a uvb light until sat is that to long to wait

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
If weather permits, maybe bring the box outside and watch over it until you can get a bulb

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He's not going to die if he doesn't get his sun (artificial or natural) every day. But he WILL get sick if he's not allowed to warm up to at LEAST 80 degrees every day. So until you can get the UVB bulb, put a regular 60 or 75 watt incandescent bulb over his habitat.

Yvonne

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Adjusted my answer to Burbank, CA (thanks Danny!)

Yvonne

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Did I do it wrong again? I have so much trouble with that.

Yvonne

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Not sure :p but you need to copy just the numbers of the IP address and paste them in the box. :D

Danny

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
emysemys said:
Adjusted my answer to Burbank, CA
Yvonne
Who lives in Burbank? You, or the original poster? But that is a coincidence, as I live in Toluca Lake, right next door.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Shelly said:
Who lives in Burbank? You, or the original poster? But that is a coincidence, as I live in Toluca Lake, right next door.

We can do an IP search to see what area the OP's internet provider is going through. I made a mistake when I first did it and Danny set me straight. The IP shows Burbank, but the OP says Orange. I guess they're pretty close.

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Orange CA is fairly close to me. The daytime temps have been well above 80 F so the hatchling should be able to regulate its temp enought to digetst its food. Sat should be fine for getting a uvb light. Please be aware getting a spiral type uvb bulb has caused eye problems and skin problems in reptiles. Better to get a florecent or MVB. MVB can be expensive at www.reptiledepot they are about $39.00 but will last at least a year. florecent bulbs last 6 months at most. If you get a MVB make sure you get a lamp holder with a ceramic base these can be found fairly inexpensive at home depot or lowes. Make sure it is rated for your bulbs wattage. MVBs provide ultraviolet light plus heat. florecent only ultraviolet you will also then need a heat bulb (infared, blacklight or ceramic heat emitter) for night time when the temps get down below 60s.
you can get it a saucer to put water in just deep enough for it to sit in but easy enough to keep its head above the water. Like to where his top and bottom shell meet. Also you can place it on yard dirt if it is not treated with chemicals or you can use cypress mulch which you can also get a home depot or lowes. Spring mix makes a nice mix for now to start you off feeding him/her. Good luck. Please feel free to ask any questions.

wichol98

5 Year Member
thenks ill go buy that stuff today and post pics so you can tell me if i set it up right

wichol98

5 Year Member
i got the uvb light and i put it in and the temp goes up to 110 F is that ok

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
You want a max of 95/100. Although tortoises thermoregulate (move around to their desired temperature), you don't want it so hot to burn them. Also, they will get more UVB output being directly under the light than to the side. Can you raise the bulb? What kind of stand do you have for it? What type of enclosure? Welcome to the group! Congrats on the new addition. You probably want to look up the legality of having it in California. I believe you need a permit in the near future.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
tortoisenerd said:
You probably want to look up the legality of having it in California. I believe you need a permit in the near future.

The laws are changing??

Status
Not open for further replies.