Need help with box turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaseyTurtle

5 Year Member
Hi. I recently adopted a box turtle and took it to the only veterinarian I have found within 100 miles who will see a turtle. It's legal to have in my area, is 10 years old and is very stunted in growth for its age. It hasn't had a light or sunlight so its shell is soft, and it's only had a diet of worms. So I have a lot of work ahead of me. I've already bought the lamps she needs and she's enjoying them. I've also been trying to vary her diet, but I've been giving her the worms she's used to. Here are my questions:

In the three weeks I've had her, she's eaten about 1/3 cup of food. I give her fresh food every day, but she rarely eats and never eats the worms. As far as I know, she hasn't had a bowel movement.

How much should she be eating? The vet said to give her another week, but if she doesn't eat more we may need to give her a feeding tube.

Is she grieving for the person who had her for her first 10 years? I've kept her habitat, her log, her food dish, everything to make home still feel like "home." Any suggestions?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Which type of box turtle is it? What temps are you keeping her at? How long are the lights on? Can she get any time outside in the sunlight?

ScottishFish

5 Year Member
Scotland
In the life of a chelonian 3 weeks is not a particularly long time, is may still be getting used to its new surroundings.

'Or like the snow falls in the river,
A moment white, then melts forever'
~Robert Burns - Tam O' Shanter

0.0.1 Testudo hermanni boettgeri

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
How about a picture? I would consider a feeding tube only as a last ditch effort. Try pill bugs and slugs if you can find some. How about meal worms or superworms? Provide her with a place she can soak. I would keep her temps in the 80's.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I hope you can fix her there is alot at great people on this forum to help you on your way to a healthy box turtle. Welcome to T. F. O.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
If I get a new box turtle and he's not eating I get some ground venison. If I don't have the real thing, I get Venison and sweet potato, Wellness dog food. I also feed this right before they hibernate. They all love it and it's good to entice a sick one to eat or a hatchling who hasn't started eating yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.