From Box Turtle to Tortoise

eKg

Hello everyone,

I found this forum and I have found it to be extremely helpful so far. To give a short history, my girlfriend has owned a turtle that she has had for 2-3 years now. As far as SHE KNEW, it was a BOX turtle. The diet consisted of nightcrawlers, and has for this entire time. We have the habitat as it should be for the moment. I understand that alot of you are experienced owners and I would ask that you be calm and collected with your replies.. Both her and I are new owners. Want to know why?

We went to the vet because we recently had a complete power outage and had to take the turtle to another place to stay for the night. It just so happens that one of the cats at the home we stayed at got close to Toiga (Our turtle) and swiped it on it's back. She then had a very large bulge on her bottom so we took her to an exotics vet. She told us that the "tube" had been inverted, so she re-inserted it. (Ouch :() Since then she has no eaten any of the greens we have tried to feed her (dark leafy greens) and she has been lethargic.

After going to the vet we found out these things:
1. It's a SHE, (most likely)
2. She is NOT a box turtle. She is either a culcotta(sp?) or a russian tortoise.
3. We have had the diet wrong this whole time.
4. According to the vet, she has significant deficiencies for her vitamins etc.

With all of this kept into consideration...

We both understand what we need to do in order to change her diet and I plan to read up quite a bit over the near future to understand how to own and raise a tortoise.

AT THE MOMENT...

She had not eaten for a week almost. After reading that warm water that she can soak in will help with constipation, I noticed that she immediately sprang to life and seemed very very happy to be in the warmer water. She then started to move her bottom up and down and left and right which I understand to be her trying to make a bowel movement. This is GOOD!!!

In an attempt to get her to eat, I presented her a worm and she ran after it. I had to pick her up and move her because she was about to tip herself over chasing after it.

Please give me any advice that you can if you were in this situation given my circumstances...

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!

David & Hannah

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Switzerland
Hi and welcome! Could you post a picture of the tortoise? Different shots if possible (from above, the bottom of the shell etc). This way we can identify your tortoise and tell you what care it needs exactly. Try to keep up the soaks.

At what temperatures are you keeping her at the moment? Also tell us a bit about what lighting you are using (eg. how old is your uv-bulb and what kind of bubs).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi David:

Welcome to the Forum!

Most likely you have a Russian tortoise. I don't know why, but store clerks seem to refer to their Russian tortoises as box turtles.

You are going to have to continue to feed the tortoise night crawlers, because it is in the habit of eating them. But you can slowly change 'her' over to a diet of greens by cutting the greens up very, very tiny. Wet the worm and roll it in the greens. As the tortoise gets the taste of the greens, you can slowly, over time, add more greens until she's eating them without the worm.

I don't understand what 'tube' needed to be re-inserted. Was this something that came out of the cloaca (the hole in the tail)? Or was it something that came out of the mouth?

Please post a picture of Toiga so we know for sure what kind of tortoise we're talking about.

eKg

peasinapod said:
Hi and welcome! Could you post a picture of the tortoise? Different shots if possible (from above, the bottom of the shell etc). This way we can identify your tortoise and tell you what care it needs exactly. Try to keep up the soaks.

At what temperatures are you keeping her at the moment? Also tell us a bit about what lighting you are using (eg. how old is your uv-bulb and what kind of bubs).

I will do that as soon as I am able to! We currently are planning on revamping her whole habitat.

At the moment we are using this light:
Zoo Med Reptile Basking Spot Lamp 100 Watts
**The bulb is probably two-three months old right now**

We plan to get an UV light and a basking light? I would kindly accept any suggestion. We have one ceramic light fixture, and plan on getting a second one for the basking/(UV) light.

Thank you again for your help.

As for temperatures...
This I am not sure of. I plan on getting a gauge to figure out the right temps.

eKg

Yvonne G said:
Most likely you have a Russian tortoise. I don't know why, but store clerks seem to refer to their Russian tortoises as box turtles.

Well, I know that store clerks are generally clueless. It actually turns out that the place that she got the turtle, erm, tortoise, was illegally selling animals when they shouldn't have been and ended up getting shut down because of it. I would assume that when it was bought they threw a general "turtle" sign on it.

Yvonne G said:
You are going to have to continue to feed the tortoise night crawlers, because it is in the habit of eating them. But you can slowly change 'her' over to a diet of greens by cutting the greens up very, very tiny. Wet the worm and roll it in the greens. As the tortoise gets the taste of the greens, you can slowly, over time, add more greens until she's eating them without the worm.
This is an excellent idea. You are an expert for sure! :D :D :D

Yvonne G said:
I don't understand what 'tube' needed to be re-inserted. Was this something that came out of the cloaca (the hole in the tail)? Or was it something that came out of the mouth?

Please post a picture of Toiga so we know for sure what kind of tortoise we're talking about.

The tube was her anus that the "inner sleeve" that had been pulled out and inverted. The vet had to re-insert.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
That looks like a box turtle to me . I can tell you , you need more humidity and a better diet . Do you have a uvb light on this guy ? You can change out your substrate with coco coir or some organic dirt . Spray with water daily to get the humidity up . If you can post pictures of the under side of your little one . Try to get him to eat more greens like spring mix just take the spinach out . Give him a calcium supplement every other day or a cuttlefish bone . He looks like he has mbd . So calcium and uvb is key . If you can let him walk outside for a hour or so a day . Go to tirtoise table and find him some good foods . Soak him daily . Go to the turtle section and read a care sheet . You can also feed this guy some fruits berries and others .

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
The vet told you it's a sulcatta or Russian? I think you need a new vet. It might be helpful if you can post a pic of the entire setup so we can help you care for him correctly. That is a box turtle.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Your box turtle is cute. I am glad you found this forum to help you get the little guy taken care of and support.There is a list of Veterinarians on the forum and you can search for local reptile groups in your area that may be able to send you in the right direction for a good Veterinarian.