Ball Python passing away.

Killerrookie

Hello, friends, I want your thoughts on what could of happened to Harlee my gfs snake she got back in September.
She bought a the snake at a reptile convention in Chicago from LLLReptiles. The snake seemed very healthy and active. He wasn’t eating for a couple months, but I told her not to worry about it because they tend to be finicky eaters.
When I arrived to visit my gf I decided to help and get the snake to eat. I successfully got him to eat his mouse and we were happy. This was on January 9th.
IMG_1404.jpg
Fast forward to January 15th we decided to clean out his enclosure. Using white distilled vinegar and water. Replaced the substrate. When doing that I checked in the fella and a weird odor was coming from him. The smell to me was similar to something decaying. I gave him a warm bath to help get rid of the smell then placed him back in the enclosure.
Throughout the week he seemed fine. Always checked on him and was active and seemed healthy to me.
January 17th, Girlfriend wanted to handle him so I went to grab the little bugger. What I found was shocking to me. He was stiff and dead. I don’t know what the cause of death was, but he was reading. The smell was just like the one I smelt Monday. It was very strong this time around.
Here are some pictures of him dead.
Maybe you guys could help figure out what happened?
IMG_1398.jpg
IMG_1401.jpg
IMG_1400.jpg
IMG_1403.jpg
If you have anymore questions just ask and I’ll answer them. Thank you guys.

Last edited:

Bambam1989

Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
Sorry about your loss.
What was the temperatures in the enclosure?
Did you ever notice the snake twisting or "corkscrewing" randomly, perhaps a twitching of the head?

Killerrookie

Sorry about your loss.
What was the temperatures in the enclosure?
Did you ever notice the snake twisting or "corkscrewing" randomly, perhaps a twitching of the head?

The temperature was 85F where the heat mat was and the ambient temp was around 75
I never noticed any twitching or “corkscrewing” going on.
He would coil up at times when handled though.

Bambam1989

East Texas
Well it doesn't sound like he over heated. And there weren't any signs of IBD.
It could have been a contaminated mouse..
More experienced snake keepers could have a better idea.
Without an autopsy it's impossible to say for sure.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Hello, friends, I want your thoughts on what could of happened to Harlee my gfs snake she got back in September.
She bought a the snake at a reptile convention in Chicago from LLLReptiles. The snake seemed very healthy and active. He wasn’t eating for a couple months, but I told her not to worry about it because they tend to be finicky eaters.
When I arrived to visit my gf I decided to help and get the snake to eat. I successfully got him to eat his mouse and we were happy. This was on January 9th.
View attachment 227952
Fast forward to January 15th we decided to clean out his enclosure. Using white distilled vinegar and water. Replaced the substrate. When doing that I checked in the fella and a weird odor was coming from him. The smell to me was similar to something decaying. I gave him a warm bath to help get rid of the smell then placed him back in the enclosure.
Throughout the week he seemed fine. Always checked on him and was active and seemed healthy to me.
January 17th, Girlfriend wanted to handle him so I went to grab the little bugger. What I found was shocking to me. He was stiff and dead. I don’t know what the cause of death was, but he was reading. The smell was just like the one I smelt Monday. It was very strong this time around.
Here are some pictures of him dead.
Maybe you guys could help figure out what happened?
View attachment 227959
View attachment 227960
View attachment 227961
View attachment 227962
If you have anymore questions just ask and I’ll answer them. Thank you guys.
Hello, first let me say I'm very sorry for your loss. It's never easy to lose a pet. These are just some ideas, in a couple of your pictures the body in spots almost looks kind of flat, then it'll look normal and then flat again. I'm wondering if he had some kind of blockage. He also looks like he may have been dehydrated, he may have also been loaded with parasites. The foul odor that you described, I am wondering if he was not able to digest his meal. Was he defecating at all? If they don't hit the right body heat, I believe their meal rather than being digested will just rot inside them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He looks very thin to me.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
He should be thin. Poor fella passed away 11 mos ago.;)