Need help rehabilitating pet shop rescue Russian Tortoise...

M

Maggie Cummings

I have 2 things to say, I think are important..ok... 3:) 1.you are doing just great! 2. I had a yearling Sulcata that was blinded by a coil light and have seen so much eye damage here on the forum from them. As far as I am concerned, you need to ****can it immediately. I cannot stress enough how serious it is. ('cept this way) if you don't do anything else we suggest, do that one for the tort, and us...3. Don't buy anything for her from a pet store. Remember, those people are only there to sell you crappy expensive stuff. Go online and either google search around or use Amazon. There's also lllreptile, carolina pet supply and TortoiseSupply. I'll see if I can find them and make you a link. I, and others, use Powersun 100 watt UVB bulbs. Those are hot enough that they are all you need in the daytime. I use a simple black light bulb for night 75 watts at Kmart $3.49. Oh, and 4...Dogs are the biggest predator of captive tortoises. Not because they are mean, just because they are attracted to torts for some reason. ALL dog owners say oh, not my dog he's well trained, or he sleeps with the tort and would never hurt it. Please please please, do a search here on dog chews and read some of the stuff, because you generally have only one chance, the tortoise will either be seriously damaged or dead.
lllreptile.com

TortoiseSupply.com

carolinapetsupply.com/

You can use an incandescent bulb for her until you get a safer bulb...

Last edited by a moderator:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I realize we are throwing a lot of info your way, but it's for the best.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you are getting the tortoise outside in real sunshine for 3 or 4 hours a week, that's probably enough UVB for the tortoise, and you can just use a regular household soon-to-be-phased-out, incandescent bulb for heat. A 100 watt will suffice.

And forget what I said about vertical hanging with the coiled bulb. If you mount that coiled bulb horizontally, like in an aquarium hood, it would be ok to use it. The coiled bulbs concentrate the rays out the end, and its too concentrated, causing the eye damage. But horizontally it doesn't have that effect.

boris_tortoise

Ok everyone. We removed the coiled UVB bulb. We'll focus on natural sunshine for her UVB until we can order an adequate replacement. We're also considering moving her into the house from our sun porch, as the sun porch gets a little cooler at night than we'd like. I've read dropping down to 60 at night is probably alright, but still it seems very cold for a reptile. What temps do you all recommend? Should I bring her in where it won't drop below the 70s?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
60° is just fine for Russian tortoise at night, I have read that they actually need, and do better if, the temperatures drop at night.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum from the flatlands of southeastern VA.

Good luck.

PS: You can get a 2' long tubular bulb to provide UV light.

boris_tortoise

Thank you leigti.

Borislava seems to be adjusting well, and I'm certain she's better off now than she was when we found her.

A couple more questions for you all:

1. I keep reading that these guys are 'voracious eaters', but she seems to not eat more than a few leaves of lettuce and a couple of clovers each day. We've offered her dandelion, roses, spinach, and pretty much anything we can find that looks healthy outside. I don't know if she's eating less because of her overall poor health, or if this is normal. She's still having healthy bowel movements daily, so she seems to be getting enough to keep her digestive system going, but I'm not sure I would call her appetite 'voracious'.

2. What do your tortoises bed times/wake up times seem to be? She seems to want to bed in for the night around 7 or 8pm, which is fine, but then wants to stay in her den sleeping all day. This morning, I had to wake her/take her out at 9:30am to get her outside for some sunshine and then for a soak. What do you think?

Here's a pic of Borislava basking under her heat lamp :)photo-6.JPG
Thank you everyone!

boris_tortoise

Hey guys, another question:

Is this burrowing?

photo-7.JPG

Her hide box is the two bricks and the rock on top, and it's usually an open shelter for her to crawl in and out of. We came back from the grocery store and found this. She apparently has dug into the hide box, and buried herself in. I read this as the equivalent of a 'do not disturb' sign. Should we just wait and see when she comes out on her own? Just wondering.

Thanks!

M

Maggie Cummings

Remember you have taken her away from her familiar area. She's likely to be off her feed for a little while. She's unsure of what's going on, no matter what an improvement it is. I turn my tortoise lights on at 7am and feed, off at 7pm. I know Russians like to cool off at night, but to me, 60 degrees is too cool. I also believe in starting them on a schedule and keeping to it. That way it kind of trains them. I have a 4 yr old tortoise and he is sitting awake on his feeding tile every morning when I turn on his light, and his look says, ok, I'm hungry what took you so long. And feeding time is the only time I see him by that tile. I also give him a dandelion snack about 6:30 pm and if I am late he starts climbing his walls and making noise, I give him the snack and he takes himself off to bed...
you see, all my animals are a wee bit spoiled...

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I've had my Russian tortoise for a year and a half now. At first he would stay buried for a long time, sometimes completely buried to where it was hard to actually find him. Every morning I would turn on his light and get nervous that he wasn't coming out so I dig him out and put them under the light. After a few months he actually came out on his own and now, if I am late he is also sitting by his food dish waiting to be fed. Lately I have taken him outside if the weather is good to be in his outdoor pen, he is now used to that and if I don't take him out he scratches at the side of his pen. He did not eat a dandelion for over a year and now he eats them like candy and actually comes running when I bring himself. He didn't eat much at first but now he eats like a little horse. I think the amount and variety of food that your Tortoise will eat will gradually increase, I noticed whenever I introduced a new food he never ate at the first time but usually did the second or third. Your Tortoise will adjust, it's been a big change for her but she will be fine.

boris_tortoise

Just to keep you all in the loop, Borislava had her vet appointment a couple of days ago. She has a RI that they are worried is dangerously close to pneumonia. She also is extremely malnourished, and indeed, lucky to be alive. The vet is confident that proper diet, nutrition, and good husbandry combined with the medications she's been given should result in a complete recovery, albeit a long and slow one.

We are having to squirt saline solution into her nostrils to flush her sinus and treat the RI, and she absolutely hates that. She was very outgoing and didn't mind being touched or pet pretty much anywhere before, but I'm fairly sure after a few more days of this she'll be quite head shy, and who could blame her. We're also having to give her injections of Baytril every other day.

She's also started eating much more 'voraciously'. Dandelion greens seem to be her favorite, followed by clover greens. She also likes asparagus and spinach. It's just good to see her with an appetite! Thank you all for your help, advice, and encouragement in giving this poor tortoise a second shot at life. We're confident we're doing the right thing, and thankful we've had so much support in doing it.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Eating good is a good sign, if she is indeed eating well now, half the battle is won. I hate to bring it up but use spinach and asparagus sparingly, a plant matter diet is better than fruits or vegetables.
But good news indeed.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Spring mix with No spinach is better. or the bagged mixes with the purple color lettuce. Endive? they tend to like that.. Warmth is very important to get her to keep eating And get better.. SUNSHINE is best!
and they are great escape artists... they climb and get out of places you would not think they could.

Drebbycakes

South East Texas
This is so helpful. I have been so worried about La'Toya. I got her Monday and it's Wednesday. She hasn't eaten and stays burrowed. However now I have more faith that she will warm up to eatting. I can't tell you how much this has relieved my tort. worries!

Instinct

5 Year Member
Upstate New York
Welcome to the forum!
Borislava is an adorable little tort. I thank you immensely for rescuing her.

I am positive she will thrive under your care. :)