Need help preparing for 15+ box turtle hatchlings

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharky43

5 Year Member
In the next few weeks we will be receiving at least 15 box turtle hatchlings, we are getting them
from my mother in laws neighbor. The neighbor has three females and one male but does not have the space or time to have the hatchlings as well and just wants them gone.

We currently have two russian torts (who would be housed separately of course) and thought the box turtles would be a fun project to take on, we obviously do not plan on keeping them all and a lot of them will find a new good home.

We just need helping preparing for them and read any tips anyone has here, we have done basic research but we want to hear from you.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
wow 15! are you going to have some for adoptions?

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amish Country
If they're smaller hatchlings, you can keep them all together in a fairly small place(40-55g)for a year or so, or a similarly sized tub. With a group like that, you have to keep an eye on them when feeding. I have six 2 month olds in a ten gal with plenty room for them, right now. Good luck. Even though they seem fragile when tiny, they're actually quite tough and resilient.

sharky43

5 Year Member
Yeah so far there are 15! There is one more female who should be laying eggs soon and if she does we're taking those as well! So who knows how many, and yes some will be available for adoption or possibly trades! Feel free to message me if interested.

we have a good enclosure for them but not sure what we should use as substrate for them and what temps should we keep them at ?

Status
Not open for further replies.