Need Help - Overnight Illness

Status
Not open for further replies.

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
My newest redfoot that I've had for about a month or so and is about 3 months old, give or take, has a super squishy shell. It's to the point where it could be bent in half, if pushed hard enough.

This morning I noticed he was holding his front legs funny, but was late for work, so there wasn't much I could do but wait until I got off to see further into it. I was hoping it was just morning drowsiness.

I have him kept with Domino (14 months old), who is perfectly healthy. This guy has never showed any signs of illness and has eaten great. I check on them all the time, and always soak them in the mornings and evenings when I get home in addition to the shallow dish in their enclosure. He was not like this last night or yesterday morning. I don't know what has happened. He was a little off in temperament last night, but nothing extreme just minor, now that I do think about it.

He's barely using his front legs, the underside of the belly appears wavy, and I swear I saw him blow two bubbles outside tonight.

I have him set up solo in a hovabator so that I can ensure a little warmer temperatures. He has moistened peatmoss and a shallow bowl for humidity. I've removed one of the windows on the top of the incubator to ensure air flow

What else can I do? I'm calling the vet in the morning to try to get in tomorrow, but in case I can't get an appointment until Friday or Saturday, what more can I do?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
I am not a vet and don't know everything involved, but soft shell is usually a long-term calcium deficiency, which also affects coordination and more.

One of the risks of keeping several animals is a subtle form of bullying in which the bigger animal blocks the smaller from the good food, good hides, best sunning spots, etc. I wonder if this is what happened here. Another thing I often see is that most common fruits are poor in calcium and many keepers use too much too often.

Separating them would have been my first suggestion. Next, I would check the formula for strong bones- good amounts of calcium, almost as much phosphorous, some iron and other trace elements, some vitamin D especially D3, heat, water, and exercise. Review diet/cares and adjust as needed.

I'd also boost vitamins a bit. Crush a human multivitamin and use a SMALL pinch a couple times a week for now then ease back to a more realistic every couple weeks or so. I'd add a pinch of good calcium carbonate at the same time.

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
They are separated. They generally don't pay each other any attention. One uses one hide, and the other the other hide, if not just burrowing under the moss. Sometimes they are hiding together, but generally they don't seem to mind each other, but they will be separated again.

I have the cuttlebone, but neither really use it, so I do supplement with calcium powder once a week, as well as TNT at other times. I will try the multivitamin though.

I was thinking calcium because of the shell, but I wasn't sure, especially as I do try to supplement. I am calling the vet within the hour, as I'm not 100% sure when they open.

I've raised Domino exactly like this one, and he's not had any issues. Same diet, husbandry, etc.

Edit: Vet can't see him until tomorrow at 11am... :-( Guess he will be kept warm and babied until then.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
I concur with Mark. Something is amiss... Separating them will alleviate any stress felt by the smaller tort and will allow it to behave more assertively. Calcium, vitamin D3 and UVB are also critical at this point. If possible, allow it access to natural sunlight even if for only a short period each day and even if in the shade (direct sunshine is not necessary). In lieu of sunshine, a flourescent UVB bulb can be used (less intense but still effective). A pinky mouse once a week may also help to boost D3 and provide a protein and carbohydrate 'bump' at the same time.

As an alternative to the human vitamins, if your tort is hesitant to eat with that added, I have better luck with Rep-Cal Herptivite. It does not have the 'chemical' odor prevalent in some preparations and is accepted readily by all of my torts & igs; whereas some outright refuse to eat foodstuffs 'tainted' with the others.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
How is your little guy doing? Did he see the vet yesterday? :(

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
I had to cancel the appointment because he died between 4-5pm the day before...

I haven't posted because it was quite upsetting. I don't know what happened. It was literally an overnight change.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
goReptiles said:
I had to cancel the appointment because he died between 4-5pm the day before...

I haven't posted because it was quite upsetting. I don't know what happened. It was literally an overnight change.

I am really sorry to hear about ur little Tort. Most small reptiles and animals get really good at looking healthy when they are ill by the time u notice they are Sick they are really ill. I have had a few near misses with my Guinea Pigs and have lost pets in the pass because they hide illness apparently they do this because in the wild they would be picked off by Preditors.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Sorry about your little guy.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh...I'm so sorry! They do die quite quickly once they get as soft as your baby was. I know its hard to take, but please understand, there was probably something going on with this baby that you couldn't help. You've done well with the other one, no problems, so it was the tortoise, not your care of the tortoise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So sorry for your loss.

Glad Domino is doing so well.

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
Thank you...

I'm trying extra hard now with Domino, making sure I do more than I did, although I thought I was doing my best before.

He just got soft all of a sudden. He had been normal since I got him, then all of a sudden all these problems, and it's not like I ignore them for days before I notice it. I'm in there feeding, misting, etc daily.

It was hard. The first red foot that I had was sick. Well, he had an abscess, then contracted septicemia. That wasn't nearly as hard as this guy. He was so pretty and everything I wanted in a red foot in regards to color and whatnot (Domino isn't quite as red as I'd like but he's my baby anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.