behaviour?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eudora09

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tucson, Arizona
So the red foot I adopted on Saturday I finally named Prince Naveen. Today he is finally active. Saturday after I finished his tank he went in his humid hide and stayed there til this morning. His eyes aren't running as bad this morning and he finally ate. So after making a few laps around his enclosure, he went to his water bowl and drank then he soaked a minute and when he got out he was dripping wet so he went and laid by a plant that I had watered this morning and got the ground wet. He started kicking his legs til he made a "mud hole" by the plant and he is now laying in it. Should I move him? He's not supposed to get that wet right? I just don't want him to get shell rot from laying in mud. He has mud all over him and up on his legs and neck. His overall humidity in the tank is at 75%. So should I let him do his own thing with the mud hole or should I move him and block it off til it dries?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
As long as he is warm enough, its ok for him to take a mud bath. Its perfectly normal. They seem to love it.

eudora09

5 Year Member
Tucson, Arizona
emysemys said:
As long as he is warm enough, its ok for him to take a mud bath. Its perfectly normal. They seem to love it.

Ok his temp is 85. Is that warm enough? I was not prepared for a red foot so I'm trying to learn everything I can so he has a good enclosure and living enviroment. Maybe he's happy to finally have humidity, the person I rescued him from thought he was just supposed to live in a small fish tank with nothing but a water bowl and eat nothing but the colorful tortoise food. So he has some pyramiding and some of his scutes in the middle are sunken in. My poor little guy.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
My worst contact rot came from sleeping on wet sphagnum moss, which is acidic. I have not seen any problems on many other substrates. Besides, Red-foots love mud!

Status
Not open for further replies.