Need Help Identifying

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeym415

5 Year Member
I was just about to pull into work when I saw this little guy in the middle of the road. Can you guys tell me what kind of tortoise he is?

Attachments

• 04302009033.jpg
    04302009033.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 04302009035.jpg
    04302009035.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 40

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
not a tortoise, its a box turtle, eastern box turtle to be exact, still fairly young looking, best bet is to find a safe place to release it, a nice wooded area.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The "box turtle" portion of your answer is correct, however its a Terrapene carolina ornata, or ornate box turtle. And I believe its a male. First of all, you need to find out if this type of turtle is native to your area. If not, its someone's escaped pet and you should try to find its owner. If it is native to your area, then releasing it where you found it, but out of the street, is the best bet. The turtle knows where it is and if you move him too far from his territory, he will just keep trying to get back there.

Yvonne

chadk

10 Year Member!
Depends on where you are from... if they are native to your area, then YES do release it in a safe place. If not native to your area, DO NOT release it. If not sure, tell us where you live and we can help :)

Here in western wa, I once found a box turtle in my backyard. We kept it as it surely wasn't a native to the area.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Hi,
You do have a male Ornate box turtle, Terrapene ornata ornata (Yvonne :D), like Yvonne said,
and it is native to OK. Find a secluded spot never where you found him and turn him loose. :)

Danny

joeym415

5 Year Member
thanks for the info. I will set him loose when I go to work tomorrow lol. Right where i found him

Status
Not open for further replies.