Need help identifying tortoise.

wretchedone

Hello, My name is Greg and I live in Cool, California. I was driving to Folsom Lake today and came across a tortoise in the road. I'm do not know of any native tortoises in this area. I have attached a couple of pictures, if someone could identify it for me I'll know whether I can turn it loose or not. Thanks.

20150714_190739.jpg 20150714_190748.jpg 20150714_190759.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It's some kind of water turtle, Greg. I'm not good at I.D.ing the water turtles. I know it's NOT a native California water turtle, as the natives have a yellow bottom shell.

wretchedone

Not sure of that, don' water turtles have webbed feet, at least the back ones? This one has no webbing.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
yeah its a turtle, not a tortoise. The bottom shell has a hinge on it. Don't know what kind of turtle but it looks like a water turtle and not a land dwelling box turtle

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello there and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
I say turtle for what it's worth.
I thought I was the Wretched One round here.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It might be one of the Central American Wood turtles, except it has no design on it's shell. Take a look at pictures of them and see what you think.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, and DON'T TURN IT LOOSE!!!! The Department of Game and Fish really frowns on turning loose turtles and tortoises, even native ones, and there's a hefty fine for doing so. If you don't want the turtle, contact a rescue and give it to them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Turtle foot:

SliderYellowbellyFoot01.jpg

Tortoise foot:

upload_2015-7-15_9-33-12.jpeg

"Turtle foot" is obvious in your second and third pictures.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
So what it is?????

Thank you for not turn it loos again.

wretchedone

Oh, and DON'T TURN IT LOOSE!!!! The Department of Game and Fish really frowns on turning loose turtles and tortoises, even native ones, and there's a hefty fine for doing so. If you don't want the turtle, contact a rescue and give it to them.
Well I found it out in the country no where near any houses. I only picked it up so it would not get ran over. I guess i could've t helped it to the other side. Fish & Game frowns on a lot of things, not my concern.

Alaskamike

South Florida
I would say that is a water turtle from its feet. Don't know exact kind. If you decide to let it go , it's always better for the animal if you get it close to where you found it. He probably was on his way to a different water hole :).

Sad so many get squished in the road. That one was lucky !

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, I deff. see the actinemys marmorata there. You may be correct.

And as to the webbed feet. How can you not see the webbing. It's clearly visible in the last picture you posted.

So - Actinemys marmorata IS native to California. Put the turtle back where you found it, but across the road in the direction you think it may have been going.

MelissaNicole

Eastern Pennsylvania
Yes, I deff. see the actinemys marmorata there. You may be correct.

And as to the webbed feet. How can you not see the webbing. It's clearly visible in the last picture you posted.

So - Actinemys marmorata IS native to California. Put the turtle back where you found it, but across the road in the direction you think it may have been going.
Agreed, definitely see northern western pond turtle